Lilwaterbottle

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2021
Please help
It is like 2 days old
If you see closely
It seems its losing hair
And ive only been feeding it tomatoes seeds
Ive tried giving it water but its not taking it.
It chirps and is trying but nothing

Attachments

• 20210727_011703.jpg
    20210727_011703.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 31
Please help
It is like 2 days old
If you see closely
It seems its losing hair
Tomato seeds are not chick food.

Mix a little bit of sugar into some warm water and use an eyedropper or 1cc syringe (no needle, just the plastic syringe) to gently apply a drop of the sugar water to the crack of the chick's beak on the side- don't try and open its mouth. Sometimes that sugar water will perk them right up and bring them around to eating- again, it needs chick food!!!

Chicks need something like Purina's Start and Grow or Flock Raiser. These are available in small bags at most feed stores. For tonight you could also hard boil an egg and try feeding it the yolk, or scrambled eggs (no salt or pepper).

However, if the chick is only 2 days old, it should still be nourished by the yolk sac it absorbs right before it hatches. So it may be one that just doesn't thrive for whatever reason. Check it's vent to make sure it's not caked over with poop... here's a good guide complete with pictures:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatmen/

Please help
It is like 2 days old
If you see closely
It seems its losing hair
this happened to one of my chicks a while back and i agree tomato seeds might not be too nourishing. mine was a bit older and i fed it some handfeeding formula (i feed my baby parrots these so i had some laying around but i don't think it is mandatory), mixed with a bit of mushed up chick feed since it was so weak it couldn't eat on it's own i had to syringe feed it. doing so could be dangerous if you don't know how though. You can't always save some chicks though, some just perish even from all the effort maybe just born a bit weaker then the others.

Tomato seeds are not chick food.

Mix a little bit of sugar into some warm water and use an eyedropper or 1cc syringe (no needle, just the plastic syringe) to gently apply a drop of the sugar water to the crack of the chick's beak on the side- don't try and open its mouth. Sometimes that sugar water will perk them right up and bring them around to eating- again, it needs chick food!!!

Chicks need something like Purina's Start and Grow or Flock Raiser. These are available in small bags at most feed stores. For tonight you could also hard boil an egg and try feeding it the yolk, or scrambled eggs (no salt or pepper).

However, if the chick is only 2 days old, it should still be nourished by the yolk sac it absorbs right before it hatches. So it may be one that just doesn't thrive for whatever reason. Check it's vent to make sure it's not caked over with poop... here's a good guide complete with pictures:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatmen/
Thanks for the advice. I'll do it when I can

this happened to one of my chicks a while back and i agree tomato seeds might not be too nourishing. mine was a bit older and i fed it some handfeeding formula (i feed my baby parrots these so i had some laying around but i don't think it is mandatory), mixed with a bit of mushed up chick feed since it was so weak it couldn't eat on it's own i had to syringe feed it. doing so could be dangerous if you don't know how though. You can't always save some chicks though, some just perish even from all the effort maybe just born a bit weaker then the others.
Yeah ik I lost 2 of them already and im Devastated and to lose one more is breaking me. Idk what to feed it and idk i only had tomatoes

Yeah ik I lost 2 of them already and im Devastated and to lose one more is breaking me. Idk what to feed it and idk i only had tomatoes
did you hatch them out or did you get some day old chicks?
were they walking normally then suddenly gone weak or were they always weak?
sorry for your loss ive lost some chicks myself its heartbreaking. although i do recommend getting starter chick feed if you can.

sorry for your loss ive lost some chicks myself its heartbreaking. although i do recommend getting starter chick feed if you ci

sorry for your loss ive lost some chicks myself its heartbreaking. although i do recommend getting starter chick feed if you can.
I was given those eggs and a week later they hatched. My mom bought a incubator for the eggs to sit in to hatch. And this one like the two others... made a hole and gave up. This one made a hole and gave up, sat there for one day and a half so we decided to take it out. The other two that passed away didnt learn to walk. Only 3 of them survived.

I was given those eggs and a week later they hatched. My mom bought a incubator for the eggs to sit in to hatch. And this one like the two others... made a hole and gave up. This one made a hole and gave up, sat there for one day and a half so we decided to take it out. The other two that passed away didnt learn to walk. Only 3 of them survived.
ohh they might be a bit too young to be out of the egg (but a day and a half might be too long from pipping to zipping) and might still think they are in the their eggs. I had this happen with my first hatch it sat in the egg and gave up and i thought it would die so i helped it out sadly it was too weak to survive sadly.

a lot of people argue about helping eggs out as some say if they are not strong enough to go out on their own they might. it can sometimes take 24h to finish absorbing the yolk. but i don't think i have had one a day and a half not sure about others here though.

if a lot of them got stuck it might have been caused by the humidity? hows the humidity on the last 3 days? and how many chicks are there now?

I would chalk it up to moving eggs with live embryos inside. There are so many things that go wrong in the incubator even when everything is as good as we can make it. When people get mail-order eggs, the rates of hatch go way down because the movement involved causes damage inside the egg- same thing likely happened here given that none did well.

As far as the losing hair part- that's actually a normal thing after they hatch for about a day.

If you want to try again, start with eggs that have just been laid (and have no embryo development yet) in your incubator- those should take 19-21 days to hatch. Or, of course- start with day old chicks!

Definitely have some form of chick starter feed available before hatching- most feed stores and even some Walmarts have chick food. In this case I don't think the tomato seeds had much to do with it- again, at that age the chick should still be just fine with its yolk sac to digest.

There's lots of great advice on hatching and raising chicks at the-chicken-chick.com or of course - here if you look under "forums" and go to "Raising Baby Chicks". You'll need a heat lamp or heat plate (look on Amazon) to keep the chicks warm once they leave the incubator, and of course a permanent predator safe home for when they're ready for outside.

ohh they might be a bit too young to be out of the egg (but a day and a half might be too long from pipping to zipping) and might still think they are in the their eggs. I had this happen with my first hatch it sat in the egg and gave up and i thought it would die so i helped it out sadly it was too weak to survive sadly.

a lot of people argue about helping eggs out as some say if they are not strong enough to go out on their own they might. it can sometimes take 24h to finish absorbing the yolk. but i don't think i have had one a day and a half not sure about others here though.

if a lot of them got stuck it might have been caused by the humidity? hows the humidity on the last 3 days? and how many chicks are there now?
Idk how to check the humidity... theres 3 alive thanks to God. And 2 in the incubator still hatching. Right now i quarantined one, the one about this post and its chirping and still trying to walk. Ik God will put his hand over and do its will. The chick seems to put up a fight to survive

Back
Top Bottom