LAME CHICK

speedabug

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
I have a lame chick born 2 weeks ago. He dont seem to be in any pain he stays with the other chicks. The leg is turn outward and the toes are curled in. I have just notice it this week I dont know it got that way. Their has been no one around them except me. I really dont want to have to put it down I cant bring myself to do it.
hit.gif

I have a two and a half week old chick doing the same thing. His leg has actually started turning completely backwards. I took him to the vet today and for a mere $101.00 :eek: I was told he would never be "normal" but we can continue to hobble and splint his leg to try and make it grow straighter. He is having problems at the hock and hip. I can't believe I spent that much money on it. He seems to have no other problems though, so I didn't know what to do!
Hope you have better luck! Oh, and the vet (specializing in aviary medicine) said that is is caused by either: Malnourishment of mother, incubation problems (temp...) and it is aggrevated by rapid weight gain.
Rachel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom