Lame Duck Question..

Pics

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC,
I have a 10 week old Pekin duck with what I think is an injured leg. When we were gathering the chicks and ducks up last night to move them into the new Super-coop, they of course freaked and started running away, in the process I noticed one of the ducks fell and then stumbled, made loud duck noises and then she would run a few feet collapse to the ground, pant for a few and the run a few feet, collapse, repeat. I looked at her legs and couldn't see any obvious evidence of injury. This morning I checked in on her and though she wanted to run away she couldn't get up on her feet...and her mouth was black from eating off the ground but not getting water (I'm guessing). I don't know if she couldn't get to the water or what...

I don't know what to do. Should I separate her from the group or leave her to see if she gets better? I don't want to tramatize her any more than necessary. If it is her hip or leg what should I look for? I am in the process of finding a farm vet-but no such luck yet.

Any advice or suggestions are welcomed-thank you!

Rest,water therapy and liquid B complex is a good way to treat. If you can put her in a small area so she can rest put another one of her flock with her.

Great advice! My lady Pekin has hurt herself a few times - with rest, alone swim time and liquid B she bounced back. I will say that adding niacin regularly will also help make Pekins stronger in general. Poor things grow so fast that their little legs can't keep up with all the weight - and they aren't the most graceful birds anyway lol.

Great advice! My lady Pekin has hurt herself a few times - with rest, alone swim time and liquid B she bounced back. I will say that adding niacin regularly will also help make Pekins stronger in general. Poor things grow so fast that their little legs can't keep up with all the weight - and they aren't the most graceful birds anyway lol.

I have noticed their lack of grace! Is there anyway to for them to lose some of the weight? She is heavy! I couldn't believe how much she weighs when I picked her up. We didn't get them for the meat so I didn't think much about it until I saw them putting on a ton of weight so I tried cutting back the grains and added more greens..I don't think it worked.

Rest,water therapy and liquid B complex is a good way to treat. If you can put her in a small area so she can rest put another one of her flock with her.

I have her in a dog crate at the time, with hay in the bottom. I put my hand up under her and didn't support the legs and I heard/felt something pop. She was able to stand for short periods after that but not walk. I fed & watered her and now she's resting. She is alone, I know that would rather be with a friend but I just don't have a setup for that right now. Mostly because they are so big. Water therapy would be good for her, I just thought it was getting too cold for that?

I have noticed their lack of grace! Is there anyway to for them to lose some of the weight? She is heavy! I couldn't believe how much she weighs when I picked her up. We didn't get them for the meat so I didn't think much about it until I saw them putting on a ton of weight so I tried cutting back the grains and added more greens..I don't think it worked.
That’s a good question. I’d like to see what others suggest.

Back
Top Bottom