Lame Hen

Neighborhood Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Hudson, CO
I have a pure black chicken - a mix so not sure of her breed. About 9 months old. She began to be lame and limp badly. Upon inspection of her foot several times, it does not appear to be bumble foot. There is no center, obvious place that can be taken out. The bottom of both feet look identical. She eats well and is out free ranging with the rest, but stays closer to home than the rest and does just sits under a shade tree to wait for them. I cannot see anything the matter with her foot or leg. She has had this probably a month. Now another hen is starting to exhibit the same symptoms. It starts slow and then seems to level off - but obviously she is not comfortable. Any idea what this might be? I can take her to the vet but we have had other vet bills and am hoping not to. Thank you

O was thinking a foot or leg injury until you mentioned the other one with the same issue. Are they on a roost pole at night? Are they getting picked on that you can tell?
Where do they fall in the pecking order?

O was thinking a foot or leg injury until you mentioned the other one with the same issue. Are they on a roost pole at night? Are they getting picked on that you can tell?
Where do they fall in the pecking order?
Thank you for your response! No it is not an injury. They have 2x4 roosts not a pole. She still gets up on the roost with one leg doing the work. They are not getting picked on. I would say mid to low on the pecking order, but that said no one seems to bother them at the feeder or when getting scratch. It just fees like this is internal rather than something external causing it. I wondered if there was a disease or condition where this is common to have a lame leg/foot.

OK, I was wondering if they were getting knocked off the roost as I had that happen but the one should have healed by now. I wish I had something more helpful to offer.

Where did you get them? Lameness is a symptom of Marek's but I'm not aware of it leveling off. I have never dealt with it so not sure.

OK, I was wondering if they were getting knocked off the roost as I had that happen but the one should have healed by now. I wish I had something more helpful to offer.

Where did you get them? Lameness is a symptom of Marek's but I'm not aware of it leveling off. I have never dealt with it so not sure.
We got them from an acquaintance and they are mutts. We have wondered all along if some of our problems are due to a totally mixed up breed. Or perhaps that makes no difference? I don't know. I know little about Marek's. I will try to research that. But I thought chickens died quickly from it? Thank you for your help! :)

I think it can cause sudden death but some are able to live with it and are carriers for life if I remember correctly.

Maybe do a search on chickens becoming lame here and Google. There could be something else or a vitamin deficiency that could cause that. I would also ask the people you got them from if they have had any kind of illness or chickens acting similar.

I have a pure black chicken - a mix so not sure of her breed. About 9 months old. She began to be lame and limp badly. Upon inspection of her foot several times, it does not appear to be bumble foot. There is no center, obvious place that can be taken out. The bottom of both feet look identical. She eats well and is out free ranging with the rest, but stays closer to home than the rest and does just sits under a shade tree to wait for them. I cannot see anything the matter with her foot or leg. She has had this probably a month. Now another hen is starting to exhibit the same symptoms. It starts slow and then seems to level off - but obviously she is not comfortable. Any idea what this might be? I can take her to the vet but we have had other vet bills and am hoping not to. Thank you
I have a very similar issue. My girl has been limping for about a month, with no sign of bumblefoot or obvious injury. She is eating, pooping and laying. The past week she has been sticking close to the coop when the others get out to free range. I soaked her in an Epsom salts bath last night and I'm hoping to see improvement today. I hope you find a remedy as well. 🐔💜

I have an Astrolorpe hen that is 5 years old. She has been lame for close to 2 months now. She started molting when I noticed her sitting much more often. She had been laying infrequently up to this time. She still runs the show with two other hens. I have been placing her in a nesting box each night and a fresh dressed cardboard box each morning. The two other hens will stay close to her box and I appreciate their support. I figure this is gereactric care. She eats well, they all eat greens, mealworms, sunflower bits, fresh corn and cracked corn, w.w. bread bits, and quinoa. They are all maintaining a good weight and another hen is molting and not showing any signs of lameness. Any ideas, I may over compensation with my hens, but I am agast by the treatment of farm animals & corporate greed.

Back
Top Bottom