lame older hen-no obvious injuries but she cannot walk

cnef26

Hatching
Sep 18, 2019
She got herself lodged into a small space over night. i was able to get her out a couple hours later (after i finally found her) but she has been acting very weird. at first, it seemed like she was blind. she is moving her head around very twitchy and methodically.
she eventually will stand up, but cannot move her feet well enough to walk. her feet, when she does stand, tend to be splayed inward and overlapping each other. spends most of the day sitting/laying down. heat lamp seems to make her comfortable. she doesnt seem to be in any pain, but i definitely want to make sure she isnt suffering.

other hens are being very mean, so i do have her separated.
shes eating a little bit, and drinking. her poop is very runny and a bright yellow and white.

any help would be highly appreciated!

She got herself lodged into a small space over night. i was able to get her out a couple hours later (after i finally found her) but she has been acting very weird. at first, it seemed like she was blind. she is moving her head around very twitchy and methodically.
she eventually will stand up, but cannot move her feet well enough to walk. her feet, when she does stand, tend to be splayed inward and overlapping each other. spends most of the day sitting/laying down. heat lamp seems to make her comfortable. she doesnt seem to be in any pain, but i definitely want to make sure she isnt suffering.

other hens are being very mean, so i do have her separated.
shes eating a little bit, and drinking. her poop is very runny and a bright yellow and white.

any help would be highly appreciated!
Lots of questions for you - is she laying? how hot has it been in your area? how old is she? Pix of poop & bird would be helpful, meanwhile give water with electrolyte solution, keep her quiet.

she was probably really stressed and possibly circulation issue, I could recommend some save a chick or nutri drench due and maybe some treats if she's not wanting to eat well, like yogurt or her favorite treat to get her eating better. she may need to be put in a sling. to help her stand and do some therapy with here on standing and walking.
Wyorp rock shows a good idea for one in this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/building-a-chicken-sling.1217524/#post-19448111
@Wyorp Rock

She got herself lodged into a small space over night...acting very weird. at first, it seemed like she was blind. she is moving her head around very twitchy and methodically.
she eventually will stand up, but cannot move her feet well enough to walk. her feet, when she does stand, tend to be splayed inward and overlapping each other....her poop is very runny and a bright yellow and white.

thank you!
she’s about four years old. not laying currently. i can send pics soo.
Welcome to BYC!
I'm sorry your hen is not well.
I agree, I would get her hydrated. Vitamins/electrolytes would be good.
The extra heat is a good idea as long as she is able to move away from it on her own accord.
If you can take some photos of her and the poop that may be helpful. A video of her actions might be good too if that's possible. For video, upload to youtube and provide a link (the BYC upload does not work).

Bright yellow poop does not sound good. You mention that she is not currently laying, is she molting? Look for new feather coming in. When she was laying eggs, were they normal or did she have any trouble with soft shell eggs? I would feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid, look to see if she may have mites/lice and feel her crop, let us know what that's like too.
She may have wedged herself to get away from the others, it's hard to know. The legs going inward is interesting, hopefully this is just temporary. With her age, she may be having some reproductive problems like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, Salpingitis, etc.

You are doing good by giving supportive care, keep us posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom