Lame question alert--Just how DO you hang a head of cabbage??

Quote:
yep that is what i do with my girls
thumbsup.gif

yep I do it the back woods way
wink.png
I was thinking about it one day and was like *LIGHTBULB* why am I using a knife to try and core this? DUH I go and grab one of the huge screw drivers and go "STAB" the cabbage, worked perfectly.
smile.png
Way less messy then trying to core it anyway! My dad happened to be over when I seen me holding the screw driver like a knife and asked me "Are we having anger issues?"
gig.gif
it was too funny, I probably looked like some crazy psycho about to go on a massacre just with a screw driver instead of butcher knife.

I stabbed a hole in mine with a long knitting needle, then tied twine to the same needle and threaded it through the hole. Tied a stick to one end of the thread and tied the other end to the roost crossbar. I guess I did look like the mad knitter while hammering on that needle.

Last edited:
I cut a wedge of cabbage and jam it into any suet feeder and hang it off something at about face height. They like it a lot and it's very easy to do. Easy, accessible. Bits that get pecked off and fall to the floor give a chance to the less dominant chickens. You'll be amused to watch their pleasure and excitement.

Personally I pull off a few leaves to leave part of the stalk/stem showing and like others ..shove a screwdriver through the stalk part ..thread some twine through and hang it off the roof of the cage .. simple really
smile.png

Mine was hanging for about a week and a half and never got touched ...I took a few leaves off it about 2 days ago and put them on the floor and the rest lasted about 10 mins lol

Suet cages from the bird seed section are easy to use - cut a chunk and wedge it in & hang head height from anything & watch their total concentration. Shreds are snapped up by the less dominant chickens and everyone is occupied.

Quote:
Fear not, LauraG!! There are NO lame questions! You have now elicited over a dozen answers to this question, including a couple I had never thought of (screw drivers, knitting needles) that I am now about to try! If you hadn't asked, what would we learn?
lol.png
yay!

First of all, there is NO such thing as a lame question, or a dumb one. The only dumb questions are the ones you fail to ask! Now see what a great & interesting discussion you got started?

For those of you who leave sharp things in the cabbage, have you ever had a chicken get injured by them? When I first began keeping chickens I remember reading advice from someone with years of experience who always said "If a chicken can get injured by something it will find a way to do it!" I've kept this in mind and always try to minimize any potential danger to my birds. Certainly accidents will always happen, but I try to reduce the risks whenever I can.

The way I serve cabbage to my chickens is... drop it on the ground in their pen! It's usually chopped into quarters so that one head can be shared with several pens. They dive right into it and it all disappears.

I don't think my chickens suffer from boredom, they have a lot to do in their pens and when they get to free-range in the afternoons. During the morning & early afternoon they must stay in and lay in their nest boxes. Between 11am-2pm it's so hot they mostly lie around in the shade or take dust baths to stay cool.

Never had an issue with them hurting themselves, when the cabbage is gone they just leave the cord and screw alone. I then put it up into the tree entill the next time. I give them 1 a week,along with other treats. Just can't spoil them only 1 day of the week.They also love bolonga,and corn on the cob.

I was thinking on this too and thought what about this?

1215517909042Zk3.jpg

Anyone ever tried screwing in a hook/eyehook into the core and then hang from a string, chain, whatever?

Can the woody core actually hold this, and can it support the weight of the cabbage without stripping out?

If anyone can tell me this is a big flop then I won't bother... but if no one's tried it then I just might.

Also thought it might work on lettuce, corn, etc.

Back
Top Bottom