Langshan Thread!!!

Is there a thread for SOP/exhibition breeding of Langshans? I've searched but haven't been able to find one.

What's your question? Far as I know this is the only thread here for Langshans. The SOP isn't all about show either, it's the blueprint for the breed period.

Hi I'm looking for croad langshan hatching eggs.. anyone here know where to find some? So far they have been difficult to locate. Thank you. :)

Are you in the US? All Langshans in the US are "Croad" Langshans since the other types never made it over here. It's very late in the season for hatching eggs, should be pretty easy to find some started stock in the fall though. What variety are you looking for and where are you located?

What's your question? Far as I know this is the only thread here for Langshans. The SOP isn't all about show either, it's the blueprint for the breed period.

I don't have a specific question. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about a couple breeds that interest me before deciding which I want when starting my flock. I love the stateliness of Langshans and the information I've read about the breed indicates they may be a good fit for me, when I'm ready to start raising chickens again.

In the past I've mostly had barnyard mixes and hatchery birds, as my primary focus was on other species. I intend to work with an (ALBC) endangered breed and concentrate on raising my chosen breed to the SOP.

One of the things I'm attempting to do as I prepare is to refine my perception of quality birds, and train my eye regarding type. With some other breeds, I've seen lots of photos and discussion of the finer points of type in threads in the SOP/exhibition section. There's some of that in this thread but I wondered if another thread might be more focused on selection of stock, interpretation of the SOP specific to Langshans, defining and recognizing faults, etc.

I have the 2010 SOP and have studied (and will continue to study) the breed description as well as the discussion of general faults and disqualifications, but I know I have a lot to learn yet. I haven't been able to see any Langshans in the flesh yet, but I'm hoping there will be good examples at some upcoming shows nearby.

I don't have a specific question. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about a couple breeds that interest me before deciding which I want when starting my flock. I love the stateliness of Langshans and the information I've read about the breed indicates they may be a good fit for me, when I'm ready to start raising chickens again.

In the past I've mostly had barnyard mixes and hatchery birds, as my primary focus was on other species. I intend to work with an (ALBC) endangered breed and concentrate on raising my chosen breed to the SOP.

One of the things I'm attempting to do as I prepare is to refine my perception of quality birds, and train my eye regarding type. With some other breeds, I've seen lots of photos and discussion of the finer points of type in threads in the SOP/exhibition section. There's some of that in this thread but I wondered if another thread might be more focused on selection of stock, interpretation of the SOP specific to Langshans, defining and recognizing faults, etc.

I have the 2010 SOP and have studied (and will continue to study) the breed description as well as the discussion of general faults and disqualifications, but I know I have a lot to learn yet. I haven't been able to see any Langshans in the flesh yet, but I'm hoping there will be good examples at some upcoming shows nearby.

I may be biased but you won't mind a better breed. I really do think the Langshan might just be the most versatile and useful breed out there when bred properly.

What part of the country are you in? The Langshan is a pretty popular bird east of the Mississippi and big shows it's not unusual to see 50+ large fowl and near the same number of bantams. Out western side of the states is a much different story. There's very few serious Langshan breeders, and depending on your variety interest, there just aren't any Whites worth speaking of out west, there's a couple decent whites out east.

As far as finer points of type, the most commonly seen flaws are narrow bodies with knocked knees, birds that are too leggy and not balanced between body depth & leg length, and too short of backs & too high of tails. Where the standard calls for a short back on males you often see almost no visible back, and the standard for females calls for a medium length back, you see a lot of very short backs in the showroom these days. That is usually coupled with tails much higher than the 75* for males and 70* for females.

Feel free to grab images and ask questions, would love to help you understand the breed better, it's my biggest passion in poultry and have spent 18 of my 23 years breeding poultry with the Langshans.

I'm currently in Indiana, but my husband and I are looking for a small farm as we move toward retirement. We're considering Missouri and Tennessee but it's somewhat uncertain, as we have another ten years to work - we need a place with work nearby that will also allow the hobby farm we desire later.

I'm only finding county fair/4h shows right now in this area, until the APA show at the state fair in Auguy. I'm hoping we may be able to attend the Ohio National, as I'm sure there will be beautiful birds there.

We went to one of the smaller fairs last weekend and saw a number of birds placed with obvious (even to my untrained eye) DQ's. There was one gorgeous Sumatra cockerel who was the only example of his breed. I'm not sure if he would have placed anywhere there was more competition, though. There were no Langshans of any variety, LF or bantam.

I love the look of the blues best, but I li'l probably begin with blacks as I learn how best to breed for type. As a beginner working toward the SOP, it's probably best not to add the confusion of breeding for correct depth of color, perfect lacing, etc, before I really know what to keep and what to cull for type. I will eventually want to add blues, but the blacks are quite beautiful in their own right!

Last edited:
As far as finer points of type, the most commonly seen flaws are narrow bodies with knocked knees, birds that are too leggy and not balanced between body depth & leg length, and too short of backs & too high of tails. Where the standard calls for a short back on males you often see almost no visible back, and the standard for females calls for a medium length back, you see a lot of very short backs in the showroom these days. That is usually coupled with tails much higher than the 75* for males and 70* for females.

Feel free to grab images and ask questions, would love to help you understand the breed better, it's my biggest passion in poultry and have spent 18 of my 23 years breeding poultry with the Langshans.

I really appreciate your knowledge and advice.

The Langshans appeal to me as majestic, stately dual-purpose birds. From what I've read, they're meaty enough for culls to be satisfying as table birds, are fair to good layers, occasionally broody, and have good foraging ability without being so wild that they're impossible to keep home. I plan to keep breeding trios or quads in portable pens - larger versions of "chicken tractors" - with two large grow out pens (1/8-1/4 acre, maybe?), a quarantine coop as far away from the other housing as the property reasonably permits, and a permanent coop/yard for a laying flock of culled pullets. We're looking for about 5 acres, but part of that will be used for garden and other livestock.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your knowledge and advice.

The Langshans appeal to me as majestic, stately dual-purpose birds. From what I've read, they're meaty enough for culls to be satisfying as table birds, are fair to good layers, occasionally broody, and have good foraging ability without being so wild that they're impossible to keep home. I plan to keep breeding trios or quads in portable pens - larger versions of "chicken tractors" - with two large grow out pens (1/8-1/4 acre, maybe?), a quarantine coop as far away from the other housing as the property reasonably permits, and a permanent coop/yard for a laying flock of culled pullets. We're looking for about 5 acres, but part of that will be used for garden and other livestock.

The culls make for excellent eating around 24 weeks, should be able to get a live weight of around 6 lbs so a carcass weight of 3-4 lbs. You can get 200+ eggs a year easily if you light them up during the winter which I highly recommend

What kind of productive lifespan can you expect? Good laying for a couple years, fewer but bigger until about age___? Cocks fertile for about ___ years?

That is something that may vary by line. Truthfully I don't often keep breeding birds beyond three years of age. Hens egg laying at 3 is not noticeably different from pullets. I'm sure they'd be productive much longer but I only have so much space and I want to keep progressing standard traits so I have to let go of them at some point. I will use proven cockbirds longer and have used 5-6 yr olds without issue, although I'm thinking of changing that due to a new theory that I'll be testing the next couple years. As a side note, unless not given a choice I prefer to not breed from cockerels since it takes almost two full years for a male to fully mature, their body keeps changing and filling out for all that time.

My goal is a multiple purpose flock that is sustainable - slow growth for joint health and general vigor, good egg production, substantial frame, true to type based on SOP, broody on occasion, with a longer productive lifespan than the mass-produced hybrids.

My (tentative) plan is to begin with birds from an established line that are the best I can get, then use them to establish three breeding pens. From there, I'll begin a "clan" or "spiral" breeding program (best cock from group 1 over best hens from group 2, best cock from 2 over best hens from 3, best cock from 3 over best hens from 1). Starting with standard-bred birds will require less refining for type, hopefully, and allow me to maintain or improve the other traits without losing quality.

I do have experience breeding to standard with other species, as well as considerable experience raising barnyard quality chickens. I have incubated eggs successfully a number of times and have also been successful with broody hens.

Langshans were originally intended to be an all-purpose barnyard fowl, and I would like to continue that tradition.

Does anyone here plan to be at the Ohio Nationals? I would love to see some good quality birds in person.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom