Langshan Thread!!!

So if a Canadian gal was interested In getting a trio of these birds, preferably not hatchery stock, does anyone know where I might look to get/import some? Or perhaps even some hatching eggs?
Thanks!
I know I've seen Langshans in Canada online in the past but couldn't point you to a breeder. Might want to keep an eye on the Canadian shows to find a breeder. Importing is somewhat difficult as it requires a Health Certificate signed by a vet, associated with an official government body, within a specific time period, with evidence of testing, and so on. Usually only large hatcheries can provide the service, and you pay for it. I think Murray McMurray will ship to a US Post Office on the border, and provide the documents you need to take them back across. You probably have to buy 25 day old chicks plus the paperwork and shipping. I'm guessing you would be in for about $200-$225. Add in the cost of the trip if you're not close to the border and you may be up to $25 per chick. They won't be exhibition quality; but its a start. If you find a decent cock later, you'll have hens to grade up. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Hello Canuck,

I wanted to be sure you were able to get into contact with a Canadian breeder. If not, please let me know and I'll forward you some info!

I also wanted to give a brief update as to the American Langshan Club. We have placed new officers in charge of the club and are updating our website! We are hoping to include breed history, the club history, and an online option to be included in the club by paying for memberships through Paypal!

Please feel free to take a gander at our new site of www.americanlangshanclub.org . We will be routinely updating the site with upcoming meets, shows and membership info so please keep checking back!

Thank you!

Hey all, I have a few Langshan chicks from Murray McMurray that are 13 weeks old (hatched June 7). I was hoping one of them would be male, but they all seem to look like pullets to me. The black one does have a slightly bigger comb than the whites, so does anyone here think it might be a cockerel? I also noticed that the white ones already have big gorgeous tails, and the black one has not much tail to speak of. That's a male trait, isn't it, getting its tail in later?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I let an acquaintance know I would mention on this thread that she has a 8 month old white cockerel available. She has been trying to sell him on craigslist (pictures here), http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/grd/5760197195.html without success, and would likely give him to a home where he would be kept not eaten. I've seen him in person and he's a pretty good looking boy. If interested you can answer the ad or PM me, and I will pass your phone number to her.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question...

From what I've been reading, it's not a good idea to breed recessive white birds with black or other colors because the results are unpredictable (because the white hides other colors the bird may be carrying). Is this true of langshans? I am hoping to get some langshans this spring and I don't have room for keeping two different kinds. ( I have one big chicken house and two smaller places where I can isolate a few together). I would get black, blue and white if the colors could all be mated with each other, with the only result being black birds that throw white offspring, but if it would make problems, then I'll just go with black and blue.

Does anyone know what happens if you mate splash and white? What about white and black?

Edit: I just found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/452468/questions-regarding-recessive-white
I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a read.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question...

From what I've been reading, it's not a good idea to breed recessive white birds with black or other colors because the results are unpredictable (because the white hides other colors the bird may be carrying). Is this true of langshans? I am hoping to get some langshans this spring and I don't have room for keeping two different kinds. ( I have one big chicken house and two smaller places where I can isolate a few together). I would get black, blue and white if the colors could all be mated with each other, with the only result being black birds that throw white offspring, but if it would make problems, then I'll just go with black and blue.

Does anyone know what happens if you mate splash and white? What about white and black?

Edit: I just found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/452468/questions-regarding-recessive-white
I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a read.

The results are only unpredictable when you don't know what genes the parents are carrying. Or when you're dealing with different base patterns. All Langshans are on the extended black base pattern. So there is no issue here. Recessive White and Blue genes are on seperate alleles, so that does not affect anything either. A White phenotype bird does not tell you anything about its genotype unless you know which birds its parents are, all you know for sure is that it has two copies of recessive white. A bird that carries one copy of white is visually indistinguishable from a bird that does not. In the past I have bred all three colors together based only on type. It does not hurt your program. What it does mean is if you breed black to black (or blue or splash, or whatever) you may get white offspring from time to time, so unless that's a problem...go nuts!

Last edited:
Hello- I am a newby here and I am on a quest to breed show quality Langshans. I am from SE Wisconsin and I don't know of anyone locally that breeds them. I am hoping there is some Langshan expert that enjoys doing this sort of thing. Evaluating birds. My grandaughter has been showing in 4H and we wanted to break out of the hatchery chicks and try our hand at buying and possibly breeding some SQ Langshans. I recently purchased 8 chicks from a SQ breeder mail order. The Roo was blue with black hens. My chicks are all so different and I am hoping someone can help me along the way decipher what is show quality, especially in regards to color. I received 3 blue and 5 black. The blue are all larger than the blacks and I assumed they were all Roo's but now I am not sure. I would like to start with the 3 blues to see what you think:
#1 is much lighter with a lighter beak and light color around the eyes which makes the eyes appear large. Light comb.
#2 This is a beautiful all blue chick, although the pics aren't the best and it is stretched out this chick is overall the same color.
#3 This one has very dark wings compared to the others. Any comments would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom