Langshan Thread!!!

I'm heartbroken. It's been 9 days since two of my Langshans disappeared. My beautiful rooster, Billy Flynn, and one of my pullets, Velma just suddenly weren't with the other birds when I went outside to check on them. They had been there an hour or so before. They were free ranging in the yard, but they always stay in the area between the coop and the house. I'm afraid something got them. I had some hope, because one of my red pullets disappeared at the same time, and three days later, she walked into the yard from the empty overgrown lot next door, so I hoped maybe the Langshans would also reappear, but I've given up hope now. It's causing problems too because Billy was my big rooster, ( he was a size larger than my other roo from the same batch, couple of inches taller and bigger around),the one in charge and even though they were the same age, his "brother, Razzle is just NOT taking over and doing as good a job taking care of the girls. He doesn't even seem to be trying. The girls walk away from him, and he never calls them over to him or try to tell them what to do.

Does anyone have any idea how I can give Razzle the confidence he needs? Or is he ruined forever because he was under Billy? If so, I may have to get another rooster when I move. My chickens are all about 21 weeks old now. Is it possible Razzle just needs to mature some more?
The problem is I have other chickens that were abandoned on the property by the homeowner. ( we are renting right now)They are American Game Fowl, I have been told on BYC. The rooster, Bruno, is an experienced rooster who takes his job very seriously. When I had Billy, Bruno never interfered with my coop chickens, but now he is hanging around with them quite a lot. So far, they always go back into the coop at night, and Bruno goes off into the trees to roost.

I like that Bruno is such a good rooster. He is always looking out for predators and watches over the Game Fowl and my coop chickens very well. But I wanted to kind of keep my coop chickens separate from the Game Fowl and that isn't working out now that Billy is gone. It has also occurred to me that maybe Bruno had something to do with Billy's disappearance, but I don't think he would have run him off the property totally, it over 5 acres, and I don't think he'd have killed a hen too...
I had no idea chicken relationships were so complicated til I got some of my own;/

He will just need time. Once he matures (that's where Billy Flynn had him) then he will start to call to the hens and become more territorial against other males.

Hello everyone! Poultry Show next month if anyone is in the area.

District Meets:
American Bantam Club
American Brahma Club
State Meets:
American Poultry Association
American Langshan Club
American Silkie Bantam Club
Nankin Club of America
Sebright Club of America
Special Meets:
Ameraucana Breeders Club
Belgian D’Anver Club
National Call Breeders of America
Cochins International
International Waterfowl Fanciers Association
Old English Game Bantam Club
Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America
Wyandotte Breeders Club

Premium book is ready to be downloaded. Go to https://lebanonpoultryfanciers.wordpress.com/

Thanks! And here you go! Him at our County fair!

That plate is actually my Intermediate Showmanship award. They didn't have any sponsors for Class plates this year I think.

Hi! Thought I'd hop over here and give this a try. I'm looking for croad langshan hatching eggs, in the USA for next spring hatching? Sorta the only breed I'm going to be adding to my flock I think. I sell eggs and the people I sell to love the different colors amazingly. Plus of course, I hear they're pretty great birds overall.

Anyone know of a breeder or someone with hatching eggs?

Thank you very much.

Hi! Thought I'd hop over here and give this a try. I'm looking for croad langshan hatching eggs, in the USA for next spring hatching? Sorta the only breed I'm going to be adding to my flock I think. I sell eggs and the people I sell to love the different colors amazingly. Plus of course, I hear they're pretty great birds overall.

Anyone know of a breeder or someone with hatching eggs?

Thank you very much.

Langshan in the US are not distinguished by different varieties as they are outside the US. All here are "croad" langshan. As for the eggs, they are not truly purple if that is what you are looking for. They are a brown base, not nearly as dark as the Marans and the brown base has a rosy whitish bloom which makes them more of a cool (as opposed to warm) colored brown. Distinguishable from say a Delaware or Barred Rock's egg, but nothing truly purple or lavenderish.

Langshan in the US are not distinguished by different varieties as they are outside the US. All here are "croad" langshan. As for the eggs, they are not truly purple if that is what you are looking for. They are a brown base, not nearly as dark as the Marans and the brown base has a rosy whitish bloom which makes them more of a cool (as opposed to warm) colored brown. Distinguishable from say a Delaware or Barred Rock's egg, but nothing truly purple or lavenderish.
Good answer!

Yes, all Langshans in the US are Croad Langshans. Do not let those that advertise as having "Croads" steal your money!

Oh! Okay thank you.

There was an article in a magazine recently that showed them as "Croad" and it sounded like there was a difference between them and others of the breed. It also showed them as laying those purpleish eggs. What I was excited about mostly was the size and that stance.

May I ask which magazine it was in? Unfortunately thanks to this site and others, rumors have begun to take over and spread rampantly about the Langshans. Mostly that ridiculous purple rumor. People are "preying" on those that have heard these rumors and haven't checked them out. They'll charge anywhere from $100-$200 per pair for junk birds that are small, puny and don't lay the egg color that has been rumored.

In the UK, there are different versions of Langshans. There is the German Langshan, Croad Langshan, and Australian Langshan. There was also a "Modern" Langshan that is thought to be extinct now. The names, in this instance, are to help separate which type of Langshan they are. But, as we only have one type of Langshan in the US, they are simply known as "Langshans."

Back
Top Bottom