Langshans foot is bleeding from feather folicles (gross pics)

Rockridge Chicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Kingston, Ont
Hello!

I have been keeping chicken since last fall. I have never been through a molt! However with that said my Rooster a Black Langshan is only 11 months. (Pictures below post)

Ok- My roos foot seems to be bleeding from the feather follicles on his foot. His foot does look swollen. is this normal in feather footed breeds to bleed when they either lose or have new feathers coming in?

Also his legs as you can see from the pics below are very red. The skin is not broken, it almost seems like he has either lost scales or his legs are swollen enough to separate the scales from one another. On the particular foot that is bleeding he lost his claw at some point this past winter. I didn't seem to cause any issues for him at that point in time. I currently have 18 other chickens. Nobody has any issues with their feet other than him. They are all kept on pine shavings and free range during the day. Their coop is always dry.

I had Julienmy roo in the shower last night to get a better look at a clean foot. I used carbolic soap to wash his foot and the applied Polysporin. i then brought him back to the coop for him to roost for the night.

So basically I am wondering if this is normal for feather footed breeds or is there something else going on... If so suggestions would be appreciated:/

Juliensfeet1-1.jpg

Juliensfoot2.jpg

Juliensfeet007.jpg

Thanks a bunch!
Megan

Last edited:
NO that is Not Normal - You have something else going on in addition to the molt.

Either he is pecking his feet or someone else is, Once a bird sees blood they go for it. You need to
put blue coat on it to cover the red. Another problem could be some type of mite or chiggur that gets under the skin.

I think you need to treat for both problems.

Maybe DH will be on soon, She always has good advice.

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

NO that is Not Normal - You have something else going on in addition to the molt.

Either he is pecking his feet or someone else is, Once a bird sees blood they go for it. You need to
put blue coat on it to cover the red. Another problem could be some type of mite or chiggur that gets under the skin.

I think you need to treat for both problems.

Maybe DH will be on soon, She always has good advice.

I have checked his feet over with a very carefully, there are no bugs... His legs seem to get more red at night? I feel so helpless...

Anybody else out there with Blk Langshans that can post pictures of their legs??

M​

I know you posted this a while ago, but I am thankful as I just discovered 2 of my cochin roosters have a similar problem, though they are not bleeding. I also noticed that they have red skin near their breasts and last week none of this existed.

In researching in my chicken health book all I could find was swollen feather follicles under a symptom of Merks. Anyone think that this might be the prob? I addition I have a hen that suddenly started limping on one foot. The bad foot is curling at the toes and she is starting to drag it. There was a complete drop in egg production, then after 4 days she laid an egg. The egg shell was healthy looking, and when I broke it open, there were no blood spots or anything unusual- it looked totally normal. Any ideas on if this could be a related thing? My hen has no swollen follicles or redness like my cochin roosters do.
I only have 11 adult birds and have (5) 2-wk old chicks. The chicks are perfectly fine as is its momm

I have a Langshan Blue Roo and his legs looks similar to yours. There is no bleeding that I see. Here is a pic of what mine looks like.... hope it is a good enough pic.

8290_ghangas_foot.jpg

I had posted yesterday and was given some advice that it was probably alright, just superficial but now I am getting more worried. Hopefully someone will know exactly what is going on.

Good luck to you and your Roo

Last edited:
This looks very very similar to what I have been dealing with, with my banty cochin Freddy. I am treating it as bumblefoot, and it is a long process.

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=80516

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75288

Freddy's one leg looked like your roos. I am using the PenG procaine injections and the method in the post by seachick in the above link. However a little different. I wash his feet in the bathtub every day in salt water for 15-30 minutes. Then put him in a chlorhexidine solution dip for his feet. Then iodine on the leg. And the PenG injection every day. And I am not bandaging him anymore. He is better but not completely healed yet. I also keep him inside so his feet dont get dirty. I was letting him out, but now I am only letting him out on the grass for a little while each day.

Hope your guy gets better. Then when you are done with the treatments you will need to give probiotics and vitamins.

It looks to me like there is some infection in the outer toe on the left foot, thats the one Freddy had that was real bad. And in between the toes too looks real painful.

And yes I do believe those feathers on the feet and legs are a problem.

Freddy also had scaly leg mites which I havent been treating too much yet untill the infection goes away. Your roo also looks like a few scales right by one of the toes may have some scaly leg mites, but not a bad case. I did put a very small amt of ivermectin on the worst parts of his scales today. And will probably try and do a little antibiotic ointment on them from time to time as long as he is showing improvement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom