Language problem.. Store or Shop

It sounds like you're just looking for something for social networking purposes. How about, instead of adding something to the end of your name, you use something like ShopAsiaBaru, where the word Shop is used as a verb, telling your customers to shop there.

you could also do something like Asia Baru Official, indicating that its the official account for your business.

Hello my friend!!! Since market means alot of business in one place, that option is out. I think of "shop" as a specialty type of business, where they specialize in one type of product, like patio furntiure, candles and home decor, etc.

I am not sure what reference "Mart" has in Indonesia, but here in the US "Mart" usually means a foreign owned store with cheap merchandise or a smoke shop.

In my opinion, with the information you have shared, I would use store.

I'm sorry for late reply, since my country's time is different about 12 hours from US time, where we got morning when people in US got evening.
big_smile.png

Quote:
thank you for sharing your opinion and choice.

Hang on.. you want me to write about my country?
hide.gif
you must be kidding, there is more bad than the good things about my country..
hide.gif

but, if you really want to hear the real.. well, I will write it then..
big_smile.png

Quote:
thank you for sharing your choice.. but unfortunately, due to local meaning of market, I'm unable to use market word..
big_smile.png

Quote:
yap, you're right. Even that meaning of market has been taught to children start from primary school that's why using market won't fit here.
big_smile.png

thank you LittleChickenLady.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I didn't read all of the thread but I would leave Tux out all together for fear of confusing people. What's wrong with Mark's Market?

thank you for reply..
big_smile.png

there's nothing wrong actually. Mark Tux is just an example name of business. The real name is Asia Baru, Asia Baru's name is not related kind of thing it sells.
big_smile.png

market is not too acceptable in my country since people in here already have almost exact same opinion that market is a place where several merchants meet and doing transaction with many buyers..
big_smile.png

thank you for sharing your opinion and I'd love to hear more if you don't mind..
big_smile.png

Quote:
thank you for sharing your opinion Squishy..

yes, it sounds like that shop word seems to be the best here. although I've read shop is more for describe single activity like butcher shop or barber shop. thank you very much..
big_smile.png

Quote:
thanks KlaHaYa Gardens, for the business name I think I can't change it anymore. Asia Baru has become the name of this store/shop/market (
hu.gif
) for decades..

I really appreciate your opinion and story you're sharing to us..
big_smile.png
I do hope I can get the good name soon.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You did missed..
big_smile.png

the tiny business is located in Indonesia (hmm... perhaps Bali is more well-known than Indonesia
big_smile.png
).

unfortunately I haven't seen any American here for the whole of my life (serious) .

let me share again the information..
big_smile.png
I've a tiny business called Asia Baru, this name already put ' in charge' by my grandfather for decades. This tiny business is selling many kind of things, start from cooking oil, powder milk, tooth paste, toothbrush, tissue, cigarette, sauce, beverage, soft drink, detergent, lamp holder, fitting, etc.

Now, I want to make it more known ( hmm ) by people by putting it online for example making website or making social network account. unfortunately, Asia Baru name is already used by another business and/or people. That's why I need to use another name like by adding extension to the business name (Asia Baru). At the first, I want to use more native language word like 'toko', but 'toko' word is too ancient (this is most people opinion in my country). I need to find better word. Since English is one of the most popular language used by youngster ( I think I'm still young
big_smile.png
) I want to use English word for the extension. I got 2 options at first, shop or store. Since I'm not an English native speaker and nor an expert in English I asked the community in BYC that I know the people inside is majorly English native speaker (British and/or American English) in order to prevent mistake about which word is better. But, after several discussion, there's another word pop in, that word is market.. and until now.. I still happily welcoming any opinion come from peoples here... and fortunately there are many people want to share their opinion here. I do appreciate your opinion folks...
big_smile.png

emm.... sorry if there's any wrong word or considered inappropriate word...
big_smile.png

Quote:
thank you for opinion.. it's good idea...

I'll include it to the option..
big_smile.png

Quote:
hello debiraymond, thank you for replying..
big_smile.png

hmm.. store... like book store? drug store? isn't it also looks like specializing thing too like shop?

thank you for sharing your opinion...
big_smile.png

How about Asia Baru Goods. Goods meaning, things, items. Dos not necessarily denote food or any other item, just vey vague, but gets the point across. Also www.asiabarugoods.com is available.
smile.png

In economics and accounting, a good is a product that can be used to satisfy some desire or need. More narrowly but commonly, a good is a tangible physical product that can be contrasted with a service which is intangible. As such, it is capable of being delivered to a purchaser and involves the transfer of ownership from seller to customer.

I like this other new suggestion, too!
I'm sorry for adding yet more confusion, but that suggestion gave me another idea... plus that you are only wanting the extenson for a website adress....
What about... adding the name of your city/country/your name, to the shop name... like www. Marks Asia Baru .com ? Or www. Portland Asia Baru .com?

Don't worry about what you write.. I find it very understandable.. and it's clear that you put effort into what you are saying!
hugs.gif

Just don't call it M. T. Store....
lol.png
would be sound like you're saying Empty Store. Sorry couldn't help myself!

I have a question or thought I guess. Would you be concerned about people not coming to the store because it says Asia in the name, reason I ask is alot of the Asian named marts around here cater to the Asia customer. Does your store also target this group of people? I'm not saying people would be bias about the name, just that most Americans, though we love Asia foods etc.., wouldn't shop at an Asian store, unless we're Asian or knew how to cook it. Does that make sence? I am not trying to be offensive in anyway.. just wondering what your target customer is.

To be really American sounding... A B Mart, Shop or store, would be completely open to any group of people.

Quote:
Hi.. thanks for replying...
smile.png
Asia Baru Goods.. it sounds good... but how about if I wanna selling service.. since I have a little ability in computer hardware and software, and little web programming.. It wouldn't be appropriate anymore, right?
big_smile.png

besides, goods word also harder to 'speak' in most people in my country's mouth/tongue. But I do appreciate your sharing.. thank you for adding another possibility..
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your opinion..
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for keep helping..
smile.png

no problem, the more options always resulted in better choice. .
big_smile.png

hmm.. it sounds like good idea, but it'll indirectly resulted in changing perception of people about the name of my store/shop/goods/mart/market , instead by adding more general word like store/shop/goods/mart/market won't confuse people since that word is general..
big_smile.png
won't it?

thank you very much..

Quote:
gig.gif
first good joke that pop into this thread..

I wouldn't concern.. since this business is opened in only Asian people live area. I've only see a foreigner able to speak English (dunno his nationality) couple years ago, he is the only foreigner I've ever seen here in more than 20 years.
hide.gif

oh.. make abbreviation of the words.. that's good idea... I'll try to combine this options with the other option..

thank you for the joke and sharing your opinion..
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom