LapBand anyone?

My sister had a gastric bypass done last March. On surgery day she was 378 pounds, and when she was here last weekend, she weighed herself and is a svelt 218 pounds.

She has had the issues with chewing as well, and there are MANY things she just can no longer eat. Gastric bypass is much different from the LapBand, though.

A friend of mine had the LapBand done about eight months ago, and is struggling with it. She has NO willpower, and eats everything she shouldn't. She's lost weight, but only because she can only eat smaller amounts.

Good luck to any of you considering it. My sister struggled with her weight for years. She's always been heavy, since we were kids. Now she's this upbeat, new person. My husband and I like to say she's bloomed.
smile.png

Em

I have a friend who had lap band surgery 1-2 years ago. I know her from my son's soccer team so I don't really see her between seasons. She has now lost 175 pounds and is within 10 pounds of her goal weight. she looks and feels like an entirely different person now. It has made a huge difference in her life. She works at a hospital and researched different surgery methods and thought lap band made sense for her. She also struggled initially to find which foods she could handle, and had great difficulty with eggs of all things. But it is great to see her looking so good, and she says its fun to shop for clothes now.

Hang in there, I believe it does get easier.

Oh yes, clothes shopping.

Don't want to go OT, here, but I happened to be with my sister the first time she was able to fit into something at a store in the mall. Before the surgery, she had to order her clothes out of catalogs, and it was all stretch pants and tee shirts.

We went into the Fashion Bug, and she tried on a really nice dressy shirt, and it looked fabulous. She actually cried. I asked her what was wrong and she said she loved it and couldn't afford to buy it. It was like, $53.00 or something. We never thought it would fit right. The sales lady heard my sister's whole story and marked the shirt down 75% for her. She got the shirt for like, $16 or something close to it.

Em

Hi Stacy,
they took a piece of my stomache and wrapped around the upper part right where my esophagus and stomach meet. Well, I was eating too fast, oh boy, and anyway what happens is the food gets stuck right before it goes into the stomache and it feels like you are going to choke to death.
This has happened a number of times. Yes you are right about learning the lesson. lol at least a little faster--I have slow learners disease
lol.png

I dont know exactly what lapband is but it must be similar

I cannot throw up because of the surgery ever evr ever

Last edited:
Heh! That's pretty awesome about the shirt! Yea for the lady at the store and yea for your sister!!! I've been tickled to put on some of my old clothes and to throw out some other stuff!!!!

Tiki, I have the same problem! LOL! Sloowwww learner! It's especially hard when eating with the other five people in this house that can eat fast and DO! You watch them and find yourself trying to put that food in your mouth too without realizing it! uggh! Was yours for a type of weight loss or for something else?

You can get enough nutrition in a day out of 4 oz of food per meal. You only need 800-1000 calories when trying to lose weight and if you get in your protein first, you can do it. It is just SAFER and makes more sense to take vitamins as well as a few supplements.

Stacy

mine was for a pre cancerouse condition. But overweightness is also a problem with me. When I first had thre surgery it was very very hard to eat,,,,,,,,,I should have been more discriminating then,,,,because overtime it has become easier,,,,,but I still cant eat fast
lol.png

I'm glad you did what you did then and overcame!!!

Did it end up helping you lose weight because of it... I would think just the act of slowing down eating at all would cause at least some of the weight to go away if not at least slow any weight gain?

Stacy

I did lose weight but gained it back since
sad.png

I am thinking of changing my diet ( for my health) but it is expensive---things like pure coconut oil and flax oil and fish oil- real milk, and more vegetarian stuff, Its just not regular stuff you can buy at the store-and kinda hard to switch recipes

It must be very hard for you with others to cook for and eat with--I just have myself plus the animals

Actually..I just switched everyone and if their butts want something else, I send them OUT to eat it.
smile.png

Ah yes..real milk! YUM! We just got a jersey heifer and got her bred on Sunday. We will have our own real, raw perfect milk after she gives birth, as well as yogurt, keifer, cheese, cream...etc! YUMMY!!!!

We've also got a large garden going and are growing out two steers to butcher, some pheasants, turkeys and chickens to put in the freezer.

I do find I have a hard time with eggs too, but never was fond of them, so am not crying about the loss or trying to make them FIT in... LOL!

I think living alone, you could really do this if you want to. It IS expensive to eat healthy, I'll give you that one..it's amazing how it can cost more... but even when you go out, you can still eat healthy at the same places everyone else eats! For instance, Mcdonalds' has some chicken snack wraps. I eat the chicken outta those (tender enough believe it or not), grilled option, no tortillia. Taco Bell I get beans, Wendy's I get chili, Chick-fil-et is the BEST though, you can order your food grilled, no bread/rolls and diet lemonade of all things! So it IS possible...
wink.png
Just gotta look around is all...

Stacy

YUMMY is right!!!
big_smile.png
sounds like you will be harvesting some nice food,,, I bet you can hardly wait for the milk,,,,,,I think thats my downfall,,I love milk and cheese,,,,,anyway My sis gave me a $200 certificate for seeds at her greenhouse and I was ordering today but it got lost in cyberspace so I will give them a call tomorrow.

Thats too bad about you not being able to eat the vegetables too much. I got a couple stew and soup recipes that I find to be pretty good. And cooked cauliflower seems to go down good.

Back
Top Bottom