Large air cells

DucksAreBest

🦆 𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻 🦆
Jan 21, 2021
Camas, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
These duck eggs are almost 5 days in the incubator and they have large air cells. Can they be too big?
Here are the pictures:
1615165783628.png

1615165855431.png

1615165944877.png

1615165997949.png

@casportpony @Miss Lydia @EggSighted4Life @JaeG @JessesChickens101 @JCaseyHammond @shawluvsbirds @Weeg @CaliFarmsAR @NatJ @MGG @Pyxis @WVduckchick what do you think?

Last edited:
Did you candle them before setting? If they were older eggs the air cells would have grown already so you can compensate by setting them at a slightly higher humidity. What's your humidity at the moment?

Yes they can get too big and it causes issues for the developing duckling/chick at hatch time. But it's early on into incubation so I'm sure they'll be just fine as it's the average humidity that matters (unlike temperature which needs to be much more specific). I'd be inclined to raise the humidity a little and check on day 10 to see how they are looking. But I've only hatched ducks the once so hopefully someone more ducky will advise you.

For next time it's more accurate to weigh the eggs using a gram scale and monitor their weight loss. They should lose between 12-16% (less for older eggs, more for fresher eggs) of their start weight by the time lockdown rolls around.

Good luck for a successful hatch and let us know how you are getting on.

1. Did you candle them before setting? If they were older eggs the air cells would have grown already so you can compensate by setting them at a slightly higher humidity. 2. What's your humidity at the moment?

Yes they can get too big and it causes issues for the developing duckling/chick at hatch time. 3. But it's early on into incubation so I'm sure they'll be just fine as it's the average humidity that matters (unlike temperature which needs to be much more specific). I'd be inclined to raise the humidity a little and check on day 10 to see how they are looking. But I've only hatched ducks the once so hopefully someone more ducky will advise you.

For next time it's more accurate to weigh the eggs using a gram scale and monitor their weight loss. They should lose between 12-16% (less for older eggs, more for fresher eggs) of their start weight by the time lockdown rolls around.

4. Good luck for a successful hatch and let us know how you are getting on.
1. No, I didn't but the eggs were 2 days old when I set them in the incubator.

2. I keep the humidity from 45% to 50%, and currently it's 49%.

3. That's good to know.

4. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Those do look pretty large for 5 days in, (especially since they had just been laid 2 days prior to setting). It would be nice to know how big they were at set time. I candle all my eggs when I set them, mainly looking for any possible cracks, but also to note if any air cells are already unusually large, or really just anything out of the ordinary.
That said, I’d agree with @JaeG, I’d run humidity a little higher than normal and monitor closely.

Side question- do they all look about the same, or is it just a few eggs that have larger air cells?

I candled all of them and only two have big air cells. The rest of the eggs have normal air cells.

In that case, my goal would be what’s best for the majority of eggs. If only 2 eggs are too large, you could consider adding a little tape (scotch, masking tape, etc) on those 2 to reduce the air transfer, but keep the humidity adjusted for the majority.

In that case, my goal would be what’s best for the majority of eggs. If only 2 eggs are too large, you could consider adding a little tape (scotch, masking tape, etc) on those 2 to reduce the air transfer, but keep the humidity adjusted for the majority.
Ok, thank you so much! ☺️

Some shells are too poroous and will lose too much moisture. Nothing much you can do about it. It probably will cause problems come hatch time but as has been said, monitor the majority of the eggs, if a couple have porous shells then they might not make it but again nothing much you can do apart from hope for the best.
Maybe your candler is very bright but the shell looks very transparent and thin on the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom