Large animal euthanasia by firearm question

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, question for firearm experts. I had to put down a 150-lb goat who was suffering. I tried holding her head up and aimed between her eyes with a CZ 512 22LR rifle. The rifle was rusty but did discharge after some WD-40. (The following round got was bent and lodged in the chamber.) Unfortunately I missed and hit the goat in the chest straight down into the sternum area. Either she moved her head, or I moved the barrel, or the gun misfired. She was suffering even more and coughing up blood. I then put her in a chokehold around her neck that I learned from jiujitsu. Her heart beat 4 more times until stopping.
Question, where do you think the bullet lodged? How could this be done better in the future so as not to cause unnecessary suffering? I had a 9mm pistol but hesitated to use it as the bullet might have exited and hit something else in the barn.
IMG_20240402_091249474.jpg

I've heard deer hunters say they'd dispatch a deer they'd shot but not killed with a .22 into the ear to preserve the head for a mount. The bullet bounces around in the skull, usually doesn't exit. I only know this from what someone told me.

Another possibility is into the open mouth, straight back.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Thank you for having the presence of mind to use your marital arts training to end the animal's suffering.

Trajectory... you have to hit the brain. take a look at this skull... The blue circle is where the brain is. The travel path of the bullet depends completely on the angle in which it penetrates the skull.

The red lines indicate killing shots. The purple is no go, at least it would be for me, if using a .22 caliber - the X is the thickest part of the skull because of the use of horns for butting other goats or things LOL. (at least not likely to with a .22).
Long story, made short.... Many years ago, my husband's father-in-law asked him to dispatch a dog that had become a problem (YEARS ago, when people commonly dispatched their own dogs).. It was a mastiff. My husband shot it right between the eyes... it ran off, squalling and crying... Came back home a couple days later, just fine. Few months went by and the F-I-L had to take the dog to the vet after it got tangled with a porcupine... the vet was pulling quills and... found a .22 caliber bullet stuck in the dog's skull, just above it's eyes..... Vet said... didn't like this dog much, huh? LOL

The purple line would not kill an animal --- it does not go through the brain, but 'might' get the spine (probably not with a .22). Most people prefer the shot behind the eye as a lethal shot - or between the ear and the eye. The ear canal is indicated by the blue dot.

If you are not super confident about firing a handgun or rifle, I highly recommend you go take a hunter's ed and shooting class and really become comfortable with the use of a handgun or rifle. If you are standing in front of the goat, and shoot down, between the eyes... where are your feet? what is the trajectory of the bullet if you miss?

That you hit the goat in the chest tells me you flinched, also --- pulled the gun as you shot, most likely because of uncertainty.

Be safe. Always. But don't be scared of the gun. It is a tool.

Attachments

• il_794xN.4797958640_9pvb.jpg
    il_794xN.4797958640_9pvb.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 29
  • il_794xN.4846224223_qod1.jpg
    il_794xN.4846224223_qod1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Edit: if you zoom in the picture you can see the bullet hole on her chest / sternum area. I feel terrible to have caused her even more suffering.
taking the life of an animal, in any situation, should (hopefully) leave a feeling of remorse or sorrow, and definitely respect for the animal. I always say I am sorry to animals that I have dispatched.

Next time you will be more prepared.

I've heard deer hunters say they'd dispatch a deer they'd shot but not killed with a .22 into the ear to preserve the head for a mount. The bullet bounces around in the skull, usually doesn't exit. I only know this from what someone told me.

Another possibility is into the open mouth, straight back.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Thank you for having the presence of mind to use your marital arts training to end the animal's suffering.
Really not a good idea.

Hi, question for firearm experts. I had to put down a 150-lb goat who was suffering. I tried holding her head up and aimed between her eyes with a CZ 512 22LR rifle. The rifle was rusty but did discharge after some WD-40. (The following round got was bent and lodged in the chamber.) Unfortunately I missed and hit the goat in the chest straight down into the sternum area. Either she moved her head, or I moved the barrel, or the gun misfired. She was suffering even more and coughing up blood. I then put her in a chokehold around her neck that I learned from jiujitsu. Her heart beat 4 more times until stopping.
Question, where do you think the bullet lodged? How could this be done better in the future so as not to cause unnecessary suffering? I had a 9mm pistol but hesitated to use it as the bullet might have exited and hit something else in the barn.
View attachment 3792095
I would have used the larger caliber pistol and held the muzzle right against the back of the skull. If the bullet exits it will go directly into the ground. If done correctly, death is instantaneous.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom