Large animal euthanasia by firearm question

I believe they're talking about killing an already wounded deer at close range. Would that also be illegal? (just wondering.)
I agree though that something larger would be preferable.
I think you would just want to use the same rifle you originally shot the deer with. We have a lot of Game Wardens in the state, so I would try anything.....

I would have used the larger caliber pistol and held the muzzle right against the back of the skull. If the bullet exits it will go directly into the ground. If done correctly, death is instantaneous.
Maybe I confused 9mm with 5.56 regarding exit holes. With other animals right ne t to her, and a propane tank right nearby, I didn't feel safe going larger than 22.

Maybe I confused 9mm with 5.56 regarding exit holes. With other animals right ne t to her, and a propane tank right nearby, I didn't feel safe going larger than 22.
I won't use a .22 on anything larger than a medium sized dog. If you were concerned about the other animals, I would have either moved the target animal or the other animals.

@Sally PB - .22's I am pretty sure are illegal to shoot deer with in Pennsylvania, and really you shouldn't use it.
It's not strong enough to kill a deer instantly or within a few short minutes with not having suffering. The deer can go up to 3 days shot with 22 and not die, sometimes you find these .22 rifle shot victims by rivers, streams, creeks, etc...
All in all, if you are hunting deer, you should use a higher powered rifle, a deer hunting rifle to hunt deer. .22's are meant for squirrels, turkeys, and other small game.
No, it's not legal to shoot a deer here in MI with a .22.

The person who told me this was talking about having shot a deer, it was down, but not dead. He had a .22 revolver with him, and put the muzzle into the deer's ear and fired. He was on private land, no one around, and had promised the head/antlers/hide and some of the meat to the owner of the land, he himself would take the rest of the meat.

Coming from a family that was "familiar" with outlawing, using .22's on deer was usually associated with night or out of season hunting because it didn't attract as much attention. 🤫

I don't know if this is recommended, but in an emergency I have put goats down by injecting 12 to 15 cc's of procaine penicillin into the jugular vein.

Back
Top Bottom