Large animal euthanasia by firearm question

As I said, I'd heard if from deer hunters. Can you explain why it's not a good idea? It made sense to me, but I'm not a deer hunter.
In many if not most states it would be illegal to shoot a game animal with a .22. If they don't shoot it in the right spot, it doesn't do anything. other than cause more pain. Most people don't know the right places to aim for in the first place.

If they want to mount the head, putting an extra hole in the head is not a good thing. They don't realize that a bullet severing the spinal column in the neck area will not leave any visible damage in the finished mount and a large caliber bullet through the heart will not affect a head mount at all.

You should call a rifle repair shop and let them know there's a round stuck in your .22 and that you used wd40 on it. See if they'll be able to get it out for you.
Also I have been assured by gunsmiths (and DW) that WD-40 will gum up the action of a gun. It can also seep into the primer of a centerfire round and disable it if kept loaded.

I've heard deer hunters say they'd dispatch a deer they'd shot but not killed with a .22 into the ear to preserve the head for a mount. The bullet bounces around in the skull, usually doesn't exit. I only know this from what someone told me.

Another possibility is into the open mouth, straight back.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Thank you for having the presence of mind to use your marital arts training to end the animal's suffering.
That is a sport hunter. The hunter you are speaking of cares about is the antlers and keeping the skull intact, not the meat.
A meat hunter would aim right behind the front shoulder hitting heart and lung and killing the animal right away - no suffering.

Also I have been assured by gunsmiths (and DW) that WD-40 will gum up the action of a gun. It can also seep into the primer of a centerfire round and disable it if kept loaded.
WD40 is great for loosening things but is definitely not a lubricant. When it dries out it can gum up anything.

Not to complicate things further but the face has many hollow sinus cavities that can complicate things, especially with low velocity rounds and .22s. We use .22 subsonic on trapped possums because we are in the city but sometimes I hear them bouncing around.

Last edited:
Not to complicate things further but the face has many hollow sinus cavities in the face that can complicate things, especially with low velocity rounds and .22s. We use .22 subsonic on trapped possums because were in the city but sometimes I hear them bouncing around.
Aim from above straight at the back of the skull where the neck attaches for a quick clean kill.

@Sally PB - .22's I am pretty sure are illegal to shoot deer with in Pennsylvania, and really you shouldn't use it.
It's not strong enough to kill a deer instantly or within a few short minutes with not having suffering. The deer can go up to 3 days shot with 22 and not die, sometimes you find these .22 rifle shot victims by rivers, streams, creeks, etc...
All in all, if you are hunting deer, you should use a higher powered rifle, a deer hunting rifle to hunt deer. .22's are meant for squirrels, turkeys, and other small game.

I believe they're talking about killing an already wounded deer at close range. Would that also be illegal? (just wondering.)
I agree though that something larger would be preferable.
Yes, the laws do not make an exception for finishing animals off as far as legal calibers go.

Back
Top Bottom