Large brooder ideas

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I'm currently incubating 15 Serama eggs. 7 of which are under my broody hen who is doing an impeccable job. I have 8 in my incubator, and I believe 3 may be infertile but am not sure. I'll toss eggs on day 12. They're shipped so if I get a 50% hatch rate, (approximately 7 chicks) That'll be great! I really only want a few though, 3-4 would be great considering they came all the way from Florida to Wa in the mail.
If I plan on getting 50%, I'll have about 4 chicks in my brooder. 3-4 under the broody. I've previously used a swimming pool brooder with cardboard cinch down strapped around the edge. I thought it was pretty secure, but a dog found its way into the brooder and got one of the chicks.
I need ideas for a large sturdy brooder. Preferably I'de build a wooden permanent brooder, but our builder is down right now and I'm not sure were I would store the brooder long term.
A friend suggested seeing if any stores had watermelon boxes they need to get rid of, those are supposed to be pretty big. Otherwise, ideas for large sturdy brooders are very welcome. Thank you!

My brooder is actually a large wire cage I built. Bought the fencing in a roll and used j clips to build it. When they are young I put corrugated plastic (think election signs) sides on it to limit air flow in my shop from cooling them off too much. As they grow I take the sides off and move the whole thing in the coop for the look don't touch method.

Budget? Inside or outside?
Yes, these are great questions. The brooder is inside our shop which is complete predator proof and secure. It only needs to be secure enough to keep dogs and cats out, but no need to worry about predators.
Of course, the cheeper the better, but all ideas are welcome even if they're expensive.

I use a 27 gal "Commander XXL" tote I bought on special at Lowes for less than 20 bucks. Some plastic netting, secured by clothespins provides the roof. Currently holds 8 chicks. Arguably, I can take them to three weeks in it. The floor measures almost 20" x 30", roughly 4 square feet. Personally, i think it gets cramped week three, but I routinely offer my birds more than the recommended space, so anything is going to "look small" to me.

My grow out pen, since they don't need heat in my climate, is 4.5' by 14.5' - much more than you need.

In between, I have a plastic (as in PVC pipe) and plastic netting cage I made so my babies can get outside time. It measures roughly 4'x6'x4' high and was built on the cheap. I did use 1/2" PVC, which I've come to regret. Will use a larger diameter pipe next time - but it was nothing more than cutting pipes to length, pressing them into the fittings (I didn't solvent weld, friction is sufficient), and zip tieing some netting onto it. A better netting, and it would be reasonably pet proof.

Plastic storage totes work well but depending how big one you can find you have to split the batch up or mod totes 2 together.
X2. Have successfully brooded chicks and keets in plastic totes. Cut out a portion of the top and replace with screen or chicken wire for airflow.
I do have 2 large totes that I've housed young bantam chicks in, but as soon as they get past a week for 2 they outgrow it. I'm really hoping for something as large as possible, hence my original choice of kiddie pool brooder.

My brooder is actually a large wire cage I built. Bought the fencing in a roll and used j clips to build it. When they are young I put corrugated plastic (think election signs) sides on it to limit air flow in my shop from cooling them off too much. As they grow I take the sides off and move the whole thing in the coop for the look don't touch method.
Thats a good idea. We have a ton of wire left over from our recent mobile tractor build. I believe we have j clips as well. That doesn't wound to complicated or to pricey. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I use a 27 gal "Commander XXL" tote I bought on special at Lowes for less than 20 bucks. Some plastic netting, secured by clothespins provides the roof. Currently holds 8 chicks. Arguably, I can take them to three weeks in it. The floor measures almost 20" x 30", roughly 4 square feet. Personally, i think it gets cramped week three, but I routinely offer my birds more than the recommended space, so anything is going to "look small" to me.
Ya, I have the exact same tote your talking about. Thats the same tote that I brooded my bantam chicks in up until about 3 weeks, but moved them to the kiddie pool brooder in the shop after that. Seems to get cramped after a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom