jbtcajun

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Large capacity range feeders\
Pros:
Cons:
How to use:
Lets hear you're thoughts so we can learn and make a decisions on their use.

bump
Is there anyone out there free ranging using these rain proof feeders?

Large capacity range feeders\
Pros:
Cons:
How to use:
Lets hear you're thoughts so we can learn and make a decisions on their use.

I would also love to hear the experts opinion on this
1f60f.png

I use 5 small non rainproof feeders.
There is a large circle around each one of damaged pasture.
They are moved when the grass starts to look weak yet while grazing the chicks will still return to the past spots and continue to damage the pasture.
Was wanting opinions from those with larger feeders that are not moved as often.
Surly there are a few that have the experience I am looking to tap.

I have had this feeder for a while now. My chicks have free access to the pasture from 6 am to 8 pm. They free range early. During the day return to the coop to beat the heat and will venture to the feeder Approx 500 feet to feed under the rain shield then return to the shade.
My feed consumption has dropped by more than 50% from when I was filling smaller feeders daily.
The girls do not mob us any longer. This was a problem as it was almost impossible to walk as they were crowding trying to be first. We fill the feeder on Saturday and Thursday nights. The pasture around the feeder can handle this amount of use; and the feeder is moved each time.
At this time I highly recommend a large capacity range feeder and have yet to find a con. We are concerned that it may attract migratory birds when the fall migration begins. Time will tell. The state veterinarian said the south will experience the same flew problems the north had this winter when the migration arrives. The migratory birds are immune to the flew and most are carriers of this highly contagious disease.
jbtcajun

Back
Top Bottom