LArge Chicken EGG farms?

m2wandc

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
What breed of chicken do large egg producing farms have...like the eggs you buy in the market...what breed of chickens do they come from?

I know most white eggs come from leghorns, but I am curious about the brown eggs you see at the supermarket.
idunno.gif

Hope someone knows...
thumbsup.gif

The brown egg layers ( mostly in New England) are Rhode Island Reds, or Isa browns ( RIR hybrids). I didn't know white eggs existed until we made a road trip to Indiana to visit relatives when I was a kid.

For those who are old enough to remember...There was a commercial that sang...Brown Eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh. I still to this day have that song stuck in my head
lol.png

Bluemoon

My mother wouldn't BUY brown eggs, though I prefered them. Or brown bread, I swear she was anti - good for you.

Now I grow my own chickens, make my own brown bread. It took nigh on fifty years but I got what I knew I wanted.

I was gonna say RIRs or Isas so that' already been said. But I like my PR's better - they lay and they're nicer.

My grandparents raised RIR's. They were always friendly except for ONE rogue RIR roo. That guy was a jerk. We used to beg her to get rid off him, but some reason she kept him around. I think a neighbor's dog eventually got him. I remember my younger brother dancing with joy that day
lau.gif

I've got some Isa browns and RIR's both sets of them are very friendly. Especially the Isa's. I had to get RIR's because I'm from Rhode Island, and it was a matter of principle for me
lol.png
The Isa's were suggested when I went to pick up my Reds. My DH really wanted them, and I was hestitant. I'm glad he talked me into it though. They are great friendly girls.

Bluemoon

Back
Top Bottom