Large chicken not sure what breed

Update and question...
I have yet to catch these little stinkers. Two did not return today. the other 2 are very concerned about the woods now. They have decided to roost on my back porch. My back yard is the woods. I have a motion sensor light on and I am wondering if it would be safer for them to have the light disabled? I have a baby possum that goes through my yard every single night and often have deer back where they are roosting. I am not sure what is the safest thing I can to for them. They tried to get into a tree but they were both to heavy and fell out. Any ideas? we just have to get through the night and my husband will build them a high perch.
Why can’t you catch them during the night? (With the lights off so they can’t see.)

Why can’t you catch them during the night? (With the lights off so they can’t see.)
I don't want to scare them half to death. they are so skittish. They are actually on my porch bannister now. I have a baby possum that comes up on the porch every single night....will the chickens sleep through that little visit? The possum is about the size of a small adult cat and very well fed (cat food). I don't know if I should leave a light on or what...I feel they are safe from predators....I'm just worried about them sensing the possum and freaking out.

I don't want to scare them half to death. they are so skittish. They are actually on my porch bannister now. I have a baby possum that comes up on the porch every single night....will the chickens sleep through that little visit? The possum is about the size of a small adult cat and very well fed (cat food). I don't know if I should leave a light on or what...I feel they are safe from predators....I'm just worried about them sensing the possum and freaking out.
It would be better to scare them than have them end up like their brothers. I would either use bare hands, a net, or a blanket to catch them at night so you can bring them to the safety of your coop.

It would be better to scare them than have them end up like their brothers. I would either use bare hands, a net, or a blanket to catch them at night so you can bring them to the safety of your coop.
I think they have found a safe place on my porch. Its second story and pretty high up. They are starting to pick on each other now. Is it possible that the dominant one will run the other one off? I have zero experience with roosters. I did see one of the 2 that went missing. I think he must be hanging out at the neighbors house.

I think they have found a safe place on my porch. Its second story and pretty high up. They are starting to pick on each other now. Is it possible that the dominant one will run the other one off? I have zero experience with roosters. I did see one of the 2 that went missing. I think he must be hanging out at the neighbors house.
I’m glad that one of the missing ones is alive. They were probably always picking on each other, it was just harder to notice until they started hanging out closer. I don’t think they’ll run each other off, but that could depend on how much food they’re getting, how safe they feel, and if any of your neighbors have hens they may start to compete over.

The 2 that made themselves at home on my 2nd story porch beam apparently brought mr racoon with them. I have lived here for 5 years and have never seen a coon (i have cameras all over the place). Soooo...i bought one of those predator lights, and we are buying a trap today. I know that coons are very savvy but it does not appear the it has tried to get up to the second story. I am bringing my big dog over tonight to meet and greet mr racoon. Is there anything else i can do?? I got up 500 times last night to check on these 2 roosters. i am tired and i am not playing with this coon.

The 2 that made themselves at home on my 2nd story porch beam apparently brought mr racoon with them. I have lived here for 5 years and have never seen a coon (i have cameras all over the place). Soooo...i bought one of those predator lights, and we are buying a trap today. I know that coons are very savvy but it does not appear the it has tried to get up to the second story. I am bringing my big dog over tonight to meet and greet mr racoon. Is there anything else i can do?? I got up 500 times last night to check on these 2 roosters. i am tired and i am not playing with this coon.

Loose chickens are going to continue to attract predators to your yard.

While you are probably wise to deal the the raccoon, catching the loose boys and penning them up would be a better long-term solution.

Back
Top Bottom