Large cyst? under eye -help!

ChickChick14

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
I found one of my quail today looking like this. What is it? What can I do to help her?
This is not my photo, but one I found online. However, it looks just like this! Poor thing—thank you in advance!

Attachments

• F1A201F8-3E6E-410A-BA22-2B25C711FCEB.jpeg
    F1A201F8-3E6E-410A-BA22-2B25C711FCEB.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 12
Does the face have a bad odor? Have you added any new birds or seen any respiratory disease in other fowl? Coryza is actually a disease of chickens, but quail can get a similar sinus infection from a different bacteria. MG or mycoplasma can look a little similar. You should get some antibiotics to treat, or cull your quail and get a necropsy to find out the exact disease. If there is a bad odor, sulfadimethoxine or Smz-tmp might be better. For MG, Tylosin and a few others cannbe used. Both diseases are chronic, for life, and make the rest carriers for life. Pus cannbe cleaned from eye with warm wet compresses, and gentle pressing around eyelid, and QTips to clean. Saline eye wash can flush the eye, and Terramycin eye ointment can be used in the eye twice a day.

I agree with @Eggcessive , looks like MG to me (Mycoplasma gallisepticum).
I would separate it from the rest of your quail. It could be that they are already infected, too! Treatment has been mentioned, so I won't elaborate further on treatment. Usually, the entire flock should be culled but that's a decision to be made by you....there is really no cure, just antibiotics to help relieve symptoms of the disease and/or secondary infections.

Last edited:
Does the face have a bad odor? Have you added any new birds or seen any respiratory disease in other fowl? Coryza is actually a disease of chickens, but quail can get a similar sinus infection from a different bacteria. MG or mycoplasma can look a little similar. You should get some antibiotics to treat, or cull your quail and get a necropsy to find out the exact disease. If there is a bad odor, sulfadimethoxine or Smz-tmp might be better. For MG, Tylosin and a few others cannbe used. Both diseases are chronic, for life, and make the rest carriers for life. Pus cannbe cleaned from eye with warm wet compresses, and gentle pressing around eyelid, and QTips to clean. Saline eye wash can flush the eye, and Terramycin eye ointment can be used in the eye twice a day.
Is it mislabeled as coryza in quail because it looks the same? I don't own quail but have wild ones locally so I look up what they could potentially infect my chickens with and that was listed. Sorry for posting bad info.

Testing would need to be done to confirm anything. You really didn’t post bad info. The vet links I read said that there can be a similar disease to coryza in quail, but it is a different bacterium. I am certainly not an expert of coryza or MG. Here is where I read that:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens

Is it mislabeled as coryza in quail because it looks the same? I don't own quail but have wild ones locally so I look up what they could potentially infect my chickens with and that was listed. Sorry for posting bad info.

Thank you all SO much! No bad odor, and no new birds for over a year—just one small backyard flock. I’ll try the Tylosin and warm compresses.

Back
Top Bottom