Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Oh Sonrise! Lucky you, but I know what you mean to forget to take pictures.
droolin.gif
I've been studying Nanakat's pictures as well, and the career of Chicken Rustler may experience a revival! [thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Cochin's]

I started to do what I said about pasting "good bits" together, and made it up to page 8. So far the "good bits" fall into 3 main categories:

• Breeding / Genetics
  • Gender clues
  • Confirmation / Type

I think it will also require a glossary for some of the terms and abbreviations used: [what is a lethal allele, or is that just the title of a new action movie?]. Anyway, it will take a week or so to get it all pasted together. After that I suppose someone will need to review it for inaccuracies or gaps and hopefully post it as an article (or articles) somewhere.

I think some of the really knowledgeable people here would find it helpful to just be able to post a link to an article when they get questions like "is this a hen or a roo?" - there are things that can be watched for, and to have a list of indicators ready to hand (or ready to link) might save some repetitive answering. Plus, I think most people learn better when they take an active part in the learning process.

big_smile.png
SoftB

Wow! That would be incredible!!!

Oh Sonrise! Lucky you, but I know what you mean to forget to take pictures.
droolin.gif
I've been studying Nanakat's pictures as well, and the career of Chicken Rustler may experience a revival! [thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Cochin's]
I know! I only live 15 min. from her, but my Mom raised me right and LF roos are hard to slip into you pocket.
Nanakat and her DH have our retirement dream - land and beautiful animals, even a fabulous garden.

Last edited:
Got a question for you Cochin folks, I recently found out my large white feathered legged chicks are Cochin and not Langshan (They came from a chick auction so the 4-H club wasn't sure when they were sold. Between weeks 4 and 5 their legs yellowed up nicely which settled that). However, I have never raised standard Cochins before and it seems like these guys are feathering out very slowly. They have wing feathers, head feathering and leg feathering, yet their body is almost bare still at 5 weeks of age. I will try and remember to post a picture when I get home from work, but is this normal for them to be so slow feathering (If it's a line by line genetic thing these originally came from Urch)? All the other chicks are practically fully feathered.

Last edited:
Here's pick of one of my LF pullets. I think she was about 8 weeks old when this pic was taken.

Here's another one - probably a month old

Last edited:
How odd, I wonder why these guys are so slow feathering. Seriously I have to post pics after work because these guys have no feathers on their back, breast or rear. Very very odd.

Ok, as promised here are the naked bodies Cochin chicks, no signs of being picked on (scabs or anything, all other chicks same age have become fully feathered and are off heat), these guys have been in their own brooder for over a week now.

So, anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

They're all over 5 weeks old. These photos show different chicks but all 6 of them look the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom