Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Did you get her from a breeder or did you hatch her yourself. I ordered some SLW hatching eggs, but you know how disappointing that can be. Hope to at least hatch a few.
smile.png

SLW or SLC?

If SLC Id love to be pointed in the direction of there website or thread :)

SLW or SLC?

If SLC Id love to be pointed in the direction of there website or thread :)
I am so silly
th.gif
. The eggs I ordered are Silver Laced Wyandottes, so sorry...I have Wyandottes and Cochin and thought I was under the Wyandotte thread. So so sorry. But still you have a beautiful SLC... My cochins are Blue/Black/Splash and I have some white as well.

I am just joining this thread, I only have one Cochin at the moment and LOVE her. She is a Silver Laced Cochin, named Cochin lol. Id love to get more SLC very soon.

This is Cochin

She is so pretty!! Good luck in your endeavor to find more. :) I'd love to see photos if you ever do.

Also, my husband and I were swooning over the eyebrows on your roo back there. They are very fluffy!

Quote:
That's so funny! I came into a SLC cockerel this past winter who I named Fat Cochin, just because he was a different breed than the rest of the roosters I had obtained at the time. I usually come up with more inspired names but I was planning on eating him and not keeping him...but now I've kept him. I've tried other names, but Fat Cochin seems to have stuck firmly...if I ever get any other Cochins I guess it will make less sense than it does now.
lol.png

She is so pretty!! Good luck in your endeavor to find more. :) I'd love to see photos if you ever do.

Also, my husband and I were swooning over the eyebrows on your roo back there. They are very fluffy!
Lol. That is Mookey my Cream Legbar rooster. He does have fluffy "eyebrows". Its due to his crest. Here are pics before he got major frostbite.

That's so funny! I came into a SLC cockerel this past winter who I named Fat Cochin, just because he was a different breed than the rest of the roosters I had obtained at the time. I usually come up with more inspired names but I was planning on eating him and not keeping him...but now I've kept him. I've tried other names, but Fat Cochin seems to have stuck firmly...if I ever get any other Cochins I guess it will make less sense than it does now.
lol.png

Agreed lol. It wont make any sense. I only have the one also, so calling her Cochin just seemed to make sense and oddly the name suits her lol. It might sound a little more strange once I add a few more Cochins.

Falling in love with Cochins is so easy to do. The Roos I had were the sweetest to their ladies, although their huge size demands more hens, otherwise the girls are bare backed faster then you even notice. I have four Cochin girls now, and I just love their fluffy personalities.
As a side note to Chicken Pickin, both my cream Roos got that level of frostbite as well...makes me sad, but they healed well and kinda look like we gave them crew cuts.

Curious if anyone could post pics of blue splash eggs? I have two LF Blue splashes and they should be getting ready to lay and wanting to be able to tell which eggs are theirs. Thanks in advance.

There won't be any difference in the eggs of splash cochins over any other cochin or for that fact most brown egg layers. You'll need to keep them separated to know which eggs are theirs.

A couple of questions for you all...

I'm curious as to opinions about breeding practices... trim feathers, pluck feathers, a.i.? If trimmed, is it uncomfortable for them to breed? It seems like there would be some sharp stubs down there. I've never had do do any of these things before.

Also, I have a couple of hens I'd really like to keep track of the eggs from. What would you recommend as a method for doing so? Would it be emotionally disturbing for them if I penned them individually until they laid?

I guess the no brainer easiest way would be to get some white egg layers to put in the breeding pen and have just one Cochin girl in at a time with the rooster and the white layers. Problem is, I just have brown laying breeds. I really don't want to be hatching Cochin/Brahma crosses. I've only got two Cochin hens. And three boys. Each of the boys has his merits. I can put brahmas with them to keep them happy but I only want to hatch the Cochin eggs.

Anyone want to trade some farm store light brahmas for some good looking blue large fowl Cochins? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom