Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I love standard cochins. We got our first set from the local Wilco and they were so sweet and loving- they would come running for pets. My husband, who at the time was anti poultry, even came to love them and would go outside to talk to them all the time. When we lost them to predators we were just devastated. We are raising up 3 standard cochin chicks right now (nothing show quality... we have enough money invested in silkies).

They are adorable. Plus it is funny watching our silkie hens try to mother these 4 month old cochin chicks who are bigger than they are. I am afraid one is going to end up being a rooster (which means he will not be kept) just looking at the difference in size, tail feathering, and carriage. Still my silkies and my cochins are just awesome breeds. Lovely and friendly; plus the cochins are champion egg layers.

We live in Missouri and noticed our Cochin prefer to lay in the winter while slowing up in the summer. It is the opposite for our other birds. I believe this makes sense since they are better protected for winter with all the double feathering. Also, we have 2 very broody Cochin hens. One is on her third batch for the year and I think it's a bit much but she doesn't. I do love and enjoy my Cochin they are very loving.

Hello all,

I am a new subscriber, and I have LF Cochins. My husband bought me an incubator last July, and I hatched out my first babies at the beginning of August. Being naive, I only had three live chicks, and probably did more harm than good in the process. All three are healthy; one hen and two roos in the "Lemon Blue" genetic scheme. This year I purchased more eggs from the same source, and ended up with ALL ROOSTERS as far as I can tell. So, I purchased some chicks from very knowledgeable sisters in my state (yes, fears of Avian Flu are at work) and now have another hen about the same age as mine, plus a 3 month old pullet, and 4 month old pullets. I am in NY state, so there are no state/county fairs this year due to the Avian Flu. I'm sure a lot of this was discussed back when this forum was started, but I would like to know what exactly is done to prepare chickens for shows? Washing? If there are broken feathers do you pull them in hopes that another feather will grow in it's place? I saw on another list something about "oiling" legs/combs? What about spurs? And, since this color is not a recognized APA/ABA color for Cochins, is it still acceptable to enter them into a show for exhibition? Please let me know if anyone would like to see photos of my LF Cochins. Many thanks for any/all answers!

Please tell me what you think of my Cochins.

This is Georgie she is curious.A Self-Blue. The Darker blue one behind her is Little foot she is also self-Blue but they are very different coloring I think. Also what does the SELF infront of the Blue mean?

This is Little Foot

The two here are Isabelle in front and Annabelle in back they are Gold Laced. and Being photo bombed by Blue cochin Bantam roo named Lulu.

If I wanted to breed them would a Black roo be the best choice? Or should I get something for each variety?

Large Fowl Cochin black chicks for sale $5.00 each, pet quality. Newly hatched up to 3 months old.
Located in New Iberia, Louisiana. Kaitlin 337-321-3339.

IMG    Hello! so happy to have found this thread!!Here are my blue chicks. I have 5 LF chicks and one LF adult hen that I hope to get in my new coop soon.

Last edited:
Hello I am trying to read all the thread. So happy to have found you all. I am just starting my string of LF Cochin. I have one adult blue hen from a hatchery who I love. I bought 5 chicks this year from S&C Animal Farm this spring. I think one blue chick is male but my comment was not posted with the picture. The entire group will be moving into my new coop as soon as stumps are removed and the rain stops so the building faze can end.

What age do the large fowl Cochin cockerel start crowing? Mine are 3.5 months and still no attempts that I have heard from my boy.
And what is age is average for them to lay (mine are from cackle hatchery)

What age do the large fowl Cochin cockerel start crowing? Mine are 3.5 months and still no attempts that I have heard from my boy.
And what is age is average for them to lay (mine are from cackle hatchery)

Mine hatched around Feb 20 and are just starting to lay and Ben just started crowing too.

Back
Top Bottom