Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Can anyone comment on the personality of a Cochin?

We received an order last week from Murray McMurray and our free exotic chick was a Cochin. He/She was such a sweet bird. If you put your hand out it would crawl into your hand, cuddle up, and never wanted to leave! He was my husband's favorite and unfortunately died mysteriously after a few days. Is this normal Cochin behavior? Just wondering if I replaced him what the odds would be of receiving another friendly bird. TY!

Can anyone comment on the personality of a Cochin?

We received an order last week from Murray McMurray and our free exotic chick was a Cochin. He/She was such a sweet bird. If you put your hand out it would crawl into your hand, cuddle up, and never wanted to leave! He was my husband's favorite and unfortunately died mysteriously after a few days. Is this normal Cochin behavior? Just wondering if I replaced him what the odds would be of receiving another friendly bird. TY!

Yeppers, you would get loving very docile birds. It's the way Cochins are. The ones I have raised all eat out of our hands and they are amazing wonderful birds that I would buy over and over again. I love watching them run to me for a treat it's like bell bottoms waddling, lol. Warmer days we go into the coop with chairs and sit down. I have 2 Cochin girls that love to jump up on my lap to set while they eat a little millet treat. Even our roosters are docile. Mr. Roo thinks he can be the boss and he will run up along side me but its so darn cute because he's too gentle to do anything! I chase him until I lay my hand on him this way he knows he is not the boss.

Now for the CON: If you are keeping Cochin in the same pen as more aggressive birds you will need to watch and make sure those birds are not stripping the feathers from your Cochin or keeping them from eating. Cochin are that gentle they seldom fight back. Yes they will peck a time or two but unless you have 2 roos fighting dominance they just don't fight.

This is what our experience is 1 year owning all our Cochin. We have 10 new chicks from one of our hens and they are just as gentle and loving as the parents.
Hope this helps,

I searched. but came up with no great answer in the results... I bought 2 show quality Buff Cochin yesterday. What is the best height of a roost for them? They are 10 months old and pretty darn big. Bonus, the hen laid an egg when I got her home :) Loving them already, they are my first pair.

I searched. but came up with no great answer in the results... I bought 2 show quality Buff Cochin yesterday.  What is the best height of a roost for them?  They are 10 months old and pretty darn big.  Bonus, the hen laid an egg when I got her home :)  Loving them already, they are my first pair.

Don't go higher than 18" as they are heavy birds. My roosts are all 12" to 18" high and I also include shelves, I use 2" x 4"s to accommodate their big feet. I only keep LFs and that seems more comfortable for them.

showing off my large fowl splash cochins :) I also have some blacks and a blue in grow out :)

My new Cochin babies :) i got the LF assortment from cackle. It looks like we got every color they have except for blue. Hoping for a girl from every color. It's going to be hard to pick only 1-2 cockerels to keep though (intown, so limited on roosters)

I received some LF cochins from Murray McMurray last April. My rooster lived to be eight months old. The other rooster I have chased him constantly because he wanted all the girls. I don't know if the harassment caused his death or what. I found him dead in the coop the next morning when I let everyone out. He was a very large boy at 8 month. I called him Dracula. Drac was very sweet. I have a partridge hen that I had to take to the vet because she had upper respiratory issues and it was not going away. Come to find out she had an e. coli infection. The antibiotics for the usual upper respiratory issues didn't work. They swabbed her esophagus and diagnosed her with e. coli. Had to give her baytril for 7 days. She has permanent damage to her air sacs and breathes heavily. I don't know how long she will last. I own 2 partridge, 1 buff, 1 white LF cochin. Truly sweet birds.

Back
Top Bottom