Large Fowl Cochin Thread

One big crabby broody hen who thinks she can hatch ceramic training eggs. Battle day 3.

With the heat moving in, do you want to break her broody mood?

With my Cochin girls, one of several methods usually breaks the mood. You want to cool her belly so she loses the temperature that brings on the desire to brood.
Remove the ceramic eggs from her nest as well as any nest material...bare box is what you want.
1) zip some ice cubes into a sealable bag. Cover with a light towel to keep from direct skin contact and slip this under the hen...several times a day for several days.
2) several times a day, set the hen in a 4 inch tall water tub with cold water to cool her down for five minutes.
3) suspend a wire cage from the rafters within easy reach. Attach a water bowl to the inside so she can't tump it over and do the same for a feed bowl. I like the kind that clip on to the wire cage. Remove the bottom tray from the cage if it has one. Put the hen inside the cage for several days. The air circulating around her belly and the swinging motion of the cage will usually break a broody hen.

Have been trying to break her. Can not take out training eggs, have pullets in the same pen who still have to figure out where to lay. thank you for the tips

My 8 week olds are still pileing in a corner. We were gone for the weekend and when I put everyone to bed last night, my mama of the one week olds decided they should roost. She went to roost and the babies were piled on the ground. So she was removed from the roost and returned to the babies. I really think they would be okay as our flock is very gentle with them and the temps are quite hot right now but I didn't want her to think she could just turn them loose this early. She is a first time mom and other than that little blip, she is doing well. BTW: one of my blue chics is a frizzle!
love.gif
Fingers crossed for a girl!

Got our very first Cochin egg yesterday! Snowball, our splash/blue hen proudly produced it while sitting on TOP of our longsuffering Crested Polish, Priscilla, who was also laying.... not sure why. Priscilla pointedly ignored the entire event while she produced her own. The Cochin egg seems ridiculously teeny for such a big bird, but I know they'll get bigger over time.

What are Cochins like as laying hens? (I have plenty of other hens for eggs, but I'm curious) I hear they're very broody and I hope so because I'm hoping to place some hatching eggs under one.

Very sweet and gentle birds.  Usually very calm, however, I have one little 2 week old who is a screaming meme!  "She" and I are going to have to have more cuddle time to calm her down, hopefully.

Lol yeah I've had a few of those. I let the kids snuggle them and it usually helps. These ones seem unusually lovey dovey towards people already so I feel lucky there. I can't get over how fluffy they are lok. :)

Back
Top Bottom