Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
Some of the varieties are very slow feathering, making them more susceptible to picking in a group environment. Sometimes crowding is a cause, sometimes stress from heat, or mixing of different breeds as some are more active than others. Some strains are more prone to picking than others. The peepers make it hard for them to see directly in front of them and thus hard to accurately aim for feather picking purposes. A group of young birds will pick one of their pen mates to death in a very short amount of time should they get started. Some of my pens get along just fine without them, and others not so much. I use them on my large White particularly. Their new feathers are pink at the base and quite a tantalizing morsel to their pen mates, even of the same color.

Thanks Cochinman.....I guess we have been really lucky then, we have a mixed group....a few cochins, marans, barnevelders, speckled sussex, blue laced red wyandottes and olive eggers...this is our first flock....now 2 1/2 months old and doing great. No one has gotten picked on. Thank you for letting me know!

a quick pic of my Silver-laced pair -
63162_dscn3534.jpg

I have all bantam Cochins but this pair and 1 huge Buff who is incubating some bantam eggs right now. I am amazed to see the difference in growth rates!

Last edited:
Quote:
What is your project with these golden partridge? Obviously, you're crossing GL with Partridge. If you work with it a little longer, you should be able to get rid of the columbian gene and hold on for a Barnvelder-type penciling. Interesting color. Why not work on Just GL or Partridge? They need plenty of work....?

Also, congrats to some of you with LF Golden Laced: Dak, Rare Feathers. Very Impressive. Haven't seen birds with that type/color combination, maybe ever. Best of luck!

Rudy

Quote:
I bet those are going to be gorgeous when they get bigger
smile.png

do you ever take your birds to state fair or local fairs and shows? im really looking forward to fair season this year ... hoping to see my favorite breeds shown...

blessed be
)O(
Pink

I'm enjoying all the pictures on this thread!
big_smile.png
I'm looking for more LF cochins and made a HUGE mistake three years ago when I sold my only pair of LF cochins becuase I thought the roo was a little to over excited and would be mean. I have SEEN a mean roo and he was NOT mean
wink.png
I miss them so much and now I wish I could take that back *sigh* Have not been able to find any since that I really like as much as them. I tried hatching a few more out from that same breeder but the box was really distroyed from the PO. Hers have since went broody
sad.png
I guess I wait patiently! Until then I will enjoy all your pictures here on this thread
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom