Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
John Farmer...just saw where you are from! Does Tontitown still have the little diner that served huge round steaks and home made yeast rolls? Used to drive there in the 70s and 80s from Tulsa.

What kind of cochin eggs do you have?

Thank you...on Momma Z's Sure holds some special family memories.

I have two black cochins cockerels that hatched from my Bo Garrett Blue eggs. Knew that could happen. Guess they are split for blue. And have two of Bo's white girls.
I also have some blues and splash from JHeinz out of Ohio. Will be setting up breeding pens this fall and next spring. Looking forward to some nice typey colors.

Pennsylvania here,,, Berks county.... between Reading and Lebanon

Just placed an ad in the " 8 weeks and older" for sale forum

Black Standard Cochins

some of the young are from show stock

nice birds, roos and pullets..... not saying they're all show quality,,, I don't show myself

thanks, Ray

Hot off the presses!! I just posted the Entry Form and Premium List on the CI website for the Cochins International 2012 Eastern National Meet.
The meet this year is hosted by the Maryland State Poultry Fanciers Association, and will be held November 3rd and 4th in Frederick, Maryland.

More details are on the CI website: www.CochinsInt.com

Mark your Calendars!!!

Thank you...on Momma Z's Sure holds some special family memories.

I have two black cochins cockerels that hatched from my Bo Garrett Blue eggs. Knew that could happen. Guess they are split for blue. And have two of Bo's white girls.
I also have some blues and splash from JHeinz out of Ohio. Will be setting up breeding pens this fall and next spring. Looking forward to some nice typey colors.
NanaKat,
Those black cockerels are genotypically and phenotypically black. The Andalusian gene does not create a split bird, the blue gene is codominant and if present with black will always produce blue and if both copies are present then the splash bird results but there are no hidden carriers of the andalusian blue gene. The self blue (lavender) gene however does produce split birds that are black but carry a blue gene, all birds that are blue are homozygous blue since the blue gene is completely recessive and requires both copies to produce the blue bird. I often have people ask me if my blues have been bred to blacks and visa versa and for the most part the answer is yes. There used to be an ad in the poultry press a few years ago on the second or third page that had a black sumatra male in the picture and even though it was a black and white picture you could tell that that sumatra cock bird had the best beetle green sheen you could imagine. There was a rather intense discussion on the old TPC forum about blue to black breedings and how it would mess up the blacks and the fellow who bred this black sumatra cock chimed in and stated that he was the product of blue parents, needless to say the discussion ended quickly.
I have found that in breeding blues one should take males of the best rich blue color laced in black (no brassiness) and breed them to good black females. The reason is that blue females tend to not express the brassiness but the males will, if you breed from good colored males you help eliminate the brassiness in the offsrping. I have also found that brassy blues produce blacks with very good green sheen, crazy huh?
Hope those guys grow nice and big for you.

Blessings,

Bo

Thank you Bo. I copied that information to my notebook. I will have to get photos of the offspring. I have some lovely dark blue pullets and a big dark blue cockerell and some lighter blue birds as well.

Thank you...on Momma Z's  Sure holds some special family memories.

I have two black cochins cockerels that hatched from my Bo Garrett Blue eggs.  Knew that could happen.    Guess they are split for blue.  And have two of Bo's white girls.
I also have some blues and splash from JHeinz out of Ohio.  Will be setting up breeding pens this fall and next spring.  Looking forward to some nice typey colors.

Ummm, if they were from me, they were from Iowa. :gig

Back
Top Bottom