Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rtroxel, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Giddy-up! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. LarissaSlates98

LarissaSlates98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    My new LF Cochin hen gets here in one hour and 30 mintutes!!! Can anybody tell I'm excited!! Lol. She is a new project that I will be working on. Haven't came up with a name for the color yet, but the color is a mix of soft buff and self blue. VERY pretty. You can get this by breeding a buff orpington with a splash blue cochin. I had to get this beauty! Now she is mine and I am going to work on the color. Will post pictures once I get her home

3. Clover Run

Clover Run Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Central Maine
    Please post a picture. Sounds very pretty.

4. LarissaSlates98

Feb 23, 2012
    My bad, she is a pure cochin LF, the color is obtained when you breed a splash rooster to a buff hen. WIll have pictures tonight

5. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Hey, I have seen some LF cochins that you could saddle and ride as well as a Langshan or two that would fit that bill!

6. LarissaSlates98

Feb 23, 2012
    Bo, I have 3 pureblood LF Cochins 6 months old (females) one isn't as big as the others, do they get more mass with age?

7. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Yep they will continue to grow frame well after a year of age and will not completely flesh out unit they are nearing 18 to 20 months old. I always love to watch my hens mature as they come into their first season of lay, the body deepens and gains width as well and the heads also become broader with age. A good cochin can be likened to a fine bottle of wine, they only get better with age!

Blessings,

Bo

8. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I enjoy watching the Cochins grow too. The cockerels are amazing when they hit that full grown stride! The hens are gorgeous like a big handfull of feather dusters!

9. LarissaSlates98

Feb 23, 2012
    I can't wait til mine are fully grown and laying. They're about 7 months now. I would like to buy hatching eggs of good quality lf Cochins

10. LarissaSlates98

Feb 23, 2012
    Could any one ship me some hatching eggs next month? I hatch in the winter and raise in the house, please. I need to get more in my flock, this summer has been terrible. Anyone who can please let me know. Thanks! Hope everyone is getting cooler weather finally as I am

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by