Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rtroxel, Apr 14, 2011.

1. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    Based upon feathering, looks like 2 cockerels and 2 pullets, (one blue cockerel, one splash cockerel). RE: Vulture hocks. At 3 weeks I'd say it's too early to tell. The hocks are one of the first places that Cochins start to feather out. I'd be more concerned at this point about what appears to be (from the one photo) bare middle toes. Maybe there's some fuzz there? Then again if you just got them to run around and look good and don't intend to show them, they'll be fine.

2. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    We got the Cochins because the breeder happens to live around the corner. They're just for a fun addition to our layer flock. But, I still like to know as much as I can. Usually I would research prior to getting something, but lacked the time this time.
    Now that the chicks are a little over 4 weeks we're worried three might be roosters. Two have a good comb coming in, one has a smallish one and one has nothing. But I'm not jumping into anything, I like the idea of a surprise, same with the colors.
    I really do appreciate all the tips and info. Thanks.

3. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Hi Cohin Peeps! Can anyone advise if my Cochin chick is a boy or girl? Hoping for a girl because I can't have roos in the city. She/he is about 4 weeks old. If it is a roo, can anyone comment as to how quiet they are? I've heard they have softer crows than other types so maybe I could try keeping it. Also, if it's a boy, can it be kept in a seperate pen without any company, except maybe a visual of the hens? Or is it mean to keep him seperate? We don't want any baby chicks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    100% young rooster

sorry,
    matt

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Oh and cochins are as loud as any other bird.

I can hear 'Big Boy', standard cochin, from the henhouse he sleeps in with the doors shut, 50 yards from my window, and that coop's windows face away from us. He likes to bellow a few times before I get up at daylight to open the coops.

Chitter Butt(oversized bantam) and Studly(undersized bantam) make them selves heard as well.

Matt

6. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks @Matt A NC - I guess I will start asking around for a home for the little roo. [​IMG]

7. Spoof

Spoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Carencro, LA
    I agree on a young roo there. Mine were too lazy to crow. One only did if he noticed someone moving, and maybe once around 10AM some mornings when he felt like it. The other never bothered. They were just as loud as any other breed though the one didn't start until he was 8 months old.

8. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Now that Samson has his feathers back from his molt and I haven't pulled any for breeding, thought I'd post some pictures. He is now two and a half and pretty huge...standing a full 18 inches tall. I don't show but love the breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    This is my main man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  10. mrheinz77