Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hi again

I am just researching the site, it sounds like you know these birds and could set me up with show Cochins.
I am looking for at least 2 show Cochins to start out. Please help me if you can. Everyone in my state seems to
have only Bantams, and I want the large birds. Thank you C from Colorado.

Cochin silver laced from april. After 6 years getting closer to a good cochin in type...

I would still give my eye teeth for her.
droolin.gif

First of all he silver laced is gorgeous...
I am new to Cochins and my pullets haven't started to lay yet. They all sleep together on the ground, they have perches but like the ground better [do they all do this?] They perches are quite high though, nearly neck high to me, [5ft 6"]
My question is...what kind of a nest box do they like??? It would have to be pretty big I am sure. What do some of you use?
And do you just put it on the ground?
I have big wooden drawer that I filled with hay just in case any of them got the idea to lay an egg.
Thanks for any and all help.
Hope everyone is having a blessed day, we are cool in OK and lovin it!

First of all he silver laced is gorgeous... I am new to Cochins and my pullets haven't started to lay yet. They all sleep together on the ground, they have perches but like the ground better [do they all do this?] They perches are quite high though, nearly neck high to me, [5ft 6"] My question is...what kind of a nest box do they like??? It would have to be pretty big I am sure. What do some of you use? And do you just put it on the ground? I have big wooden drawer that I filled with hay just in case any of them got the idea to lay an egg. Thanks for any and all help. Hope everyone is having a blessed day, we are cool in OK and lovin it!
Those perches would, in my experience, be far too high for a giant breed bird. Mine are 12", 18" and 24" off the floor.

My young stock is still not perching at 7 month. My older flocks do perch. I think it is a preference and an experience thing for them.

I agree, the perches are way too high, but they were built for other breeds and there is a big ladder going up to them.
I recently got a new Cochin hen and roo and they climb the ladder to which ever step they like and sit down.
The rest that were raised here sit at the bottom.
Sometimes though in this heat they stayed outside and slept in the enclosed run.
I guess I'll let them do whatever they want but would like to start a new set of nest boxes and didn't know what to begin with.
Nests on the ground will be OK won't they?
These birds seem HUGE to me, I don't know how they can lift themselves.
BUT they do run around like crazy, jump in the air and play and even fly a short distance, they sure don't look built to fly even an tiny bit.
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom