Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Thanks everyone. I was talking to someone about getting two dozen eggs in February/March but I'm thinking I should go earlier if they can. I want to show them at least at the Ohio Nationals next year if possible.

Thanks everyone. I was talking to someone about getting two dozen eggs in February/March but I'm thinking I should go earlier if they can. I want to show them at least at the Ohio Nationals next year if possible.
I hatched my birds in july that I am taking to nationals i have some setting now but not sure they will be big enough for the fall ,

Perhaps Bo Garrett can help with an answer since he breeds and shows His Cochins and has Whites.
I have a nine month old Black Cochin Pullet that has finished her last molt and looks really nice.
They can be ready to show at about 10 months and compete but to truly be ready for a show they will be 20 months or older. If a bird is a solid bird as a young bird and has what I think are all the qualities to develop into a nice cock or hen then I keep them and let them mature out to 20 - 24 months, lots of good things happen in that second year. I showed a hen in Hutchinson, KS on 11/16/13 that was three years old; never was impressed with her as a show bird so I never showed her just used her as a breeder but this year she really came into her own and she was champion Asiatic and champion LF. Never, never, never cull birds that have no obvious defects and exhibit good type until they are fully mature; you may just be throwing the baby out with the bath water!!!

Bo

So ten months old and they will do fine within the cockerel/pullet division but don't expect to win big with anyone less than two years old? Is this what everyone is saying? Sounds to me like these guys will be a little slower to mature than my LF Brahmas. I have two nine months old cockerels who look great they just need to fill in their frames( put a few more pounds on ) and get those big noggins in that Brahmas are known for.

So ten months old and they will do fine within the cockerel/pullet division but don't expect to win big with anyone less than two years old? Is this what everyone is saying? Sounds to me like these guys will be a little slower to mature than my LF Brahmas. I have two nine months old cockerels who look great they just need to fill in their frames( put a few more pounds on ) and get those big noggins in that Brahmas are known for.

I just won champion LF and champion Asiatic with a black 7 month old pullet. She has also won ch asiatic two other times and reserve asiatic two other times. So I just think it's how fast a specific line matures. Here's my pullet now at 7 months. She was bred by Robert Anderson:

But definitely, like Bo said, don't get rid of anything too early. My males are much slower to mature than females.

I am looking for some show quality LF Cochin eggs, really interested in blue, lavender and splash or possibly lemon blue but I know those are still in the works with most people. If someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

Arabella my lemon blue pullet

Lily my black pullet

The wind blew her tail in this picture that's why her tail is sticking up
Autumn my youngest pullet

Pebbles my splash pullet

Back
Top Bottom