Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I heard something down by my pens once. I heard a 2nd noise so i stood up and started to walk towards my pens. A barred cochin rooster i had living with the goats was sprinting up my dirt road towards the goat house. He had a prairie falcon flying about 6ft off the ground hot on his trail. I lost a big black hen to the prairie falcon and several others of diffrent breeds. He would have caught up to him if i wasnt there but that big cochin ran pretty darn fast.
wow! going to have research prairie falcons, i have read some cases where hawks will hunt in packs- one lucky boy you have there!

The Hawks that got my hens did not carry the bodies off. They killed them right there in the yard and ate them where they killed them. The rest of the chickens were traumatized watching all that. I caught both hawks while they were eating. One of the hawks was a Red Tail Hawk and the other was a Chicken Hawk...or that's what my dad called it. It wasn't a local hawk...it was one flying thru migrating. Either way...2 dead hens. One bad thing about my yard is there is very little for them to hide in and I'm on top of a ridge sorta. So Hawks could see my chickens moving around the yard from a 1/4 mile or further. So now I let them loose in my whole yard where I have shrubs and a clump of trees and hedge...this seems to have helped so far. I'm also going to start planting a bunch of stuff for them to hide under but it may take some time for the plantings to get big enough.

Carol Ann from SC

My parents bought a 3 acre property and are building a chicken coop. I have been researching different breeds and so far I have a fascination with the Buff Cochins based on looks and it says they're docile. The bright orangish color and the fluffy feathers and the feathers on their legs makes them look like they're floating. If anyone has ever owned a Buff Cochin please give me some feed back because this is the breed I mostly have my eye on thank you. I am not experienced with chickens by any means so any advice is great advice about the Buff cochins thanks!

ArtsyRobin, Sonny is looking great. You have done that auction bird proud.

My parents bought a 3 acre property and are building a chicken coop.  I have been researching different breeds and so far I have a fascination with the Buff Cochins based on looks and it says they're docile.   The bright orangish color and the fluffy feathers and the feathers on their legs makes them look like they're floating.    If anyone has ever owned a Buff Cochin please give me some feed back because this is the breed I mostly have my eye on thank you.  I am not experienced with chickens by any means so any advice is great advice about the Buff cochins thanks!

I think all Cochins have a calm temperament. I have Blue, Black, Splash and White. All have great temperament and are friendly birds. They do have difficulty with high temperatures in summer and need shade. Roosts lower to the ground are preferred as well as low nest boxes...they are too heavy to fly to higher roosts.

Do silver laced cochins and barred cochins contain extended black in there genetics

Bumping this forward so someone with genetics background can answer it.

My dad is looking for a trio of LF Buffs that are of good quality. I called Tom Roebuck and he did not have any right now to let go. Anyone going to the Unifour chicken show March 1 that would bring a trio I know he would pay whatever you asked for them as long as they are nice LF buff cochins.

Back
Top Bottom