Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
Some of the varieties are very slow feathering, making them more susceptible to picking in a group environment. Sometimes crowding is a cause, sometimes stress from heat, or mixing of different breeds as some are more active than others. Some strains are more prone to picking than others. The peepers make it hard for them to see directly in front of them and thus hard to accurately aim for feather picking purposes. A group of young birds will pick one of their pen mates to death in a very short amount of time should they get started. Some of my pens get along just fine without them, and others not so much. I use them on my large White particularly. Their new feathers are pink at the base and quite a tantalizing morsel to their pen mates, even of the same color.

Quote:
Some of the varieties are very slow feathering, making them more susceptible to picking in a group environment. Sometimes crowding is a cause, sometimes stress from heat, or mixing of different breeds as some are more active than others. Some strains are more prone to picking than others. The peepers make it hard for them to see directly in front of them and thus hard to accurately aim for feather picking purposes. A group of young birds will pick one of their pen mates to death in a very short amount of time should they get started. Some of my pens get along just fine without them, and others not so much. I use them on my large White particularly. Their new feathers are pink at the base and quite a tantalizing morsel to their pen mates, even of the same color.

I have one particular pen that seems particularly difficult. Conditions are no different than the other pens, but several males have been killed in short order. One minute fine, a few hours later horribly picked. The young males that are slower to feather in seem to be the victims. They are getting picked badly over the hip bones and next to the vent.

Thank you Tom for the answer.

Quote:
There's no such (real) thing. I worked on some for a few years and sold my last trio to a woman here in WA State...there are several others still working on the color but going in circles, IMHO. You have to use brown red to get a true lemon blue. Most of the birds I have seen are buffs with blue leakage or some such thing. I crossed mine with GL cochins and then back to the buffs and then back to some PQ brown reds and then back to buffs. Type was getting better--and they were HUGE but still not what I wanted. I have too many other projects going on right now so I decided to part with them and concentrate more heavily on my other breeds.

BYC member wwmicasa1, had some LF LB Cochins, she would list hatching eggs from....in the BST thread, a while back.

Look her up, and see if you like her LB "project" cochins.

BUT, as RFF stated above, they do not breed true....and no such real thing. Everyone who works on them...has their own interpretation, on what qualifies as their own version, of LB coloring.

Last edited:
80875_img_2460.jpg

80875_img_2458.jpg

Back
Top Bottom