Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
Bo, those are excellent points to cull to. Just what age are most of them right now?

I read a few months back that, rather than focusing so much on "breeding" to the Standard, we should practice "culling" to the Standard. It's something that has stuck with me.

They range in age from 6 months to less than three weeks. My chicken math didn't add up, I went out this afternoon and used the counter and had 307 with more than 230 of those being pullets. I'll never get that ratio ever again!!!! I sure hate culling though, never was one to like killing but it must be done and though it hasn't gotten easier I realize it is for the best of the breed. If they don't have disqualifying defects I will take them to sales and let people bid what they think they are worth or give them away if someone wants them. I think, however that I will have a good number of quality sale birds for the fall shows.

Blessings to you,

Bo

Quote:
so I need to stay with gold bared or gold.. good to know.. I really want to keep the gold coloring..
thanks )O(
Pink

You could get away with barred hens, I think.

Quote:
so I need to stay with gold bared or gold.. good to know.. I really want to keep the gold coloring..
thanks )O(
Pink

Are you talking about Buff Barred or Gold Barred?

Quote:
thanks )O(
Pink

By gold barred would you mean the pattern on the golden penciled hamburg? or a barred with gold instead of white? Is that what you would be calling buff barred?

Quote:

By gold barred would you mean the pattern on the golden penciled hamburg? or a barred with gold instead of white? Is that what you would be calling buff barred?

Rudy, not sure if that question is for me or Pink. The only reason I asked is that I know a lot of people are working on what they all refer to as "Buff Barred", in both LF and Bantam. But I've never heard anyone refer to them as "Gold Barred". As the genes for Buff and Gold are different, I was just wondering which Pink is actually working on.

Quote:
Are you a Yankee yet? I'll miss you this fall but hope you are able to make the Indy show so we can meet up there and talk Asiatics. Nothing like those big feather legged chickens!

Blessings to you,

Bo

I'm new at LF Cochins and my first chicks are now 3 months old. I know they have lots of time to go before they are mature, but it seems like the pullets are maturing faster. Is that common?

Quote:
I'm a bit new with chickens myself, but I read on another post there is a theory that pullets do seem to feather out quicker. That seemed to be the case for my silkie chicks.

Back
Top Bottom