Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
I am working on the new design for my Cochin Castle as I like to call it. I wanted to give them an enclosed run to give them more room to move around. The whole area is going to sit on a concrete slab. My question for their run is: Do I not put anything down, just let them walk around on concrete, or do I put sand down (wasn’t sure if that would mess up foot feathers), or do I just put shavings down like I have in their “house”?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I guess it is up to you, but I would probably not put anything down and just scrape it once or twice a week. I've seen people also put gravel down and then you can rake it clean but the water runs out and you don't get any mud or manure mess. To me, shavings would be an extra cost.

Rudy

here is my rooster is he sQ he is just 4 months old
Picture+836.jpg

Picture+837.jpg

I also need some pullets to go with him
wee.gif

Last edited:
Is everyone coming out to Indiana in the next few weeks for Crossroads? It would be fun to meet you all! I will be showing a few Large Partridge Cochins!

Are most of your birds going into a molt this time of year or are many already done molting? What sorts of things do you do to get them in condition and keep them there?

63354_100811153702.jpg

63354_2011-10-08_15-23-20_539.jpg

Just popping by since I haven't been here in a while to say hi and to share a couple pics my Spring hatch. :)
I'm really happy with how they're growing out...they never fail to crack me up! Their feathering is so full that they look like they're wearing bloomers AND chaps lol.

Back
Top Bottom