Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
I've heard from posters on here that've tried Ideal's reds that the quality is pretty disappointing compared to some of Ideal's other cochin varieties (very small amount of foot feathering and that they don't really look much like cochins). I've been pretty happy with my brabanters and the 2 Old English bantams I got from Ideal, but I've never tried their cochins.

The ones I had in mind would look like a nicely colored Rhode Island red. I love that mahogany color; I have a RIR bantam rooster, and I was just thinking how nice the color would look on a cochin. Do any cochins carry the mahogany gene? Partridge, maybe? I was just curious on whether or not reds were being developed. It's a variety I'm interested in, but I don't really have the space to work on right now.

The large fowl cochins I have right now are all from a lemon blue project; I'm not sure if they're buff/blue crosses or blue/brown-red crosses. I'm thinking maybe buff/blue as I got 1 almost solid buff rooster from my batch of chicks. I did get a couple black pullets from the bunch, but I don't have any roosters to work with to achieve red at the moment.

Last edited:
The Red that has been standardized in Cochins is not the same as RI red. It is the more bright, rusty color as opposed to the deep mahogany of the RIR.

Partridge do carry, or at least I'm pretty sure that they do, the mahogany gene. That is, the darker strains do. See pics on my website for pics of darker and lighter ones.

Quote:
You have some very nice partridge rtroxel!
droolin.gif
Those dark roosters are gorgeous, and I like all of the hens. Do you ever sell any: eggs, chicks, or adults?

Unrelated to partridge, but is it hard to get correct tails on large fowl cochins? Mine are still young (3 and 1/2 months), so they may change as they get older, but right now it seems that a couple of the cockerels have more upright rooster tails as opposed to the puffy rounded tails they should have. I wound up with 5 cockerels from the lemon blue project birds I bought, though, and a couple of them are looking pretty good body and tail-wise, at least in my limited cochin experience. However, the one that I really like is nowhere close to looking lemon blue, but a light buff color with blue accents.
hmm.png

Quote:
You have some very nice partridge rtroxel!
droolin.gif
Those dark roosters are gorgeous, and I like all of the hens. Do you ever sell any: eggs, chicks, or adults?

Unrelated to partridge, but is it hard to get correct tails on large fowl cochins? Mine are still young (3 and 1/2 months), so they may change as they get older, but right now it seems that a couple of the cockerels have more upright rooster tails as opposed to the puffy rounded tails they should have. I wound up with 5 cockerels from the lemon blue project birds I bought, though, and a couple of them are looking pretty good body and tail-wise, at least in my limited cochin experience. However, the one that I really like is nowhere close to looking lemon blue, but a light buff color with blue accents.
hmm.png

Tails are always hard to get just right. But if you have good soft feathers, that does a lot for you. That really helps them finish nicer. If a bird has harder feathers, etc. it is hard for that bird to have a good tail, fluff, shape in general, you get the idea. A lot of the color project birds have hard feathers and therefore don't look much like Cochins. Usually very pretty, but not well-typed.

If you're interested sometime in eggs (Spring/Summer) or Adults/Started(Fall/Winter), email me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Your hen looks similar in color to the 3 closest birds I have to lemon blue; all 3 are cockerels. I have 5 cockerels, but the other 2 are more buff (1 light and 1 dark) with blue accents. None of my hens look lemon blue: 2 black, 1 blue, and 1 brown-red (she may not be a true brown-red, but that's the closest color she matches).

Here are a few of mine, plus a wyandotte.
53351_110311171400.jpg

53351_110311172604.jpg

53351_110311171332.jpg

53351_110311171512.jpg

53351_110311172333.jpg

@rtroxel, mine don't seem to have what I'd consider very hard feathering, so hopefully that's a good sign. Then again, I'm not an expert, and I'm not sure if feather quality is apparent in the pics I posted.

I may email you come spring about eggs. That'll give me time to see if I can work out space for some. I have some extra cockerels that will be getting rehomed soon, and I may end up selling a few pullets, so
fl.gif
. You really do have gorgeous partridges.
love.gif

Last edited:
smile.png

I am so excited, I am getting 4-- 7mos. Cochin hens today and I rooster. All white. One of the hens has been broody and sitting on eggs for 2 weeks. Not sure if they are fertile though because she's never been trimmed, nor the 7 mo. old rooster.

Probably the move is going to upset her too much to continue on. But, I have 2 day old Black Copper Marans chicks coming tomorrow. Do you think there is much of a chance for her to accept them if I slip them under her? Input greatly appreciated.

Quote:
I've never tried it for myself, but I've heard that broody hens will usually accept chicks if the chicks are young enough and you slip them under the hen at night. Just be sure to remove the eggs from under her when you add the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom