Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
smile.png

Hi fellow Cochin Lovers. I got these 3 hens and 1 rooster yesterday; they are 7 months old. I have never had a Cochin but always wanted them--so I jumped at this chance.

They won best of show trio at the Othello, WA fair and the other hen not in the trio one 1st place. I don't show but am happy to have these non-hatchery birds.

Can you guys give me your honest opinion of them. No feelings hurt here, just want your expert input--Please let me know what you think of them.

Hey everyone,

I have too many roosters and need to know which one I should keep. I want the best looking and I'm just not sure what to look for yet.
here they are, what do you think?

I think he is the best
59554_img_6692.jpg

He has a lot of darker slotches and black on his wing feathers.
59554_img_6689.jpg

Here are three of the four, I'm pretty sure the front one is a rooster, just developing a bit slower than the others.
59554_img_6683.jpg

Sorry for my awful photos, they didn't want to come out of the woods for a photo op.

smile.png

I agree with you, the first one is nice--but maybe you should wait for a bit before you decide, you may have an awesome late-bloomer. Could you look at my new white ones, post before yours. I am a totally Cochin dummy!

Here are three of the four, I'm pretty sure the front one is a rooster, just developing a bit slower than the others.

The one in the front looks like a pullet to me.
smile.png

Look for things that won't change with age to help if you have to get rid of some. Pick good head points, foot feathering, width of body and back, etc. Size and maturity will change, they will get fluffier, etc, but some of the most important things you can look for are always either there or not. The worst thing you can do is hang onto a bird you should have sold just because when he gets older he matures somehow that covers his faults and use him as a breeder.

Quote:
Sorry. I'm not that well versed in cochins yet, but I'll give a try. If nothing else, maybe it'll help your post get noticed by someone who knows more than me.
lol.png
The hen in the front of the second pic looks really nice from what I can tell. Is that the same rooster in the bottom pic as in the middle pic? He's got a nice size to him, or he looks like he does from that frontal shot. Going by what I've been told on here, he doesn't seem to have his feathers fluffed as much as they should be, but maybe someone else can provide better insight on that. I'm still trying to learn myself.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom