Large lump on chicken. Please help!

mns1977

Hatching
Oct 18, 2019
One of our 18month old hens has developed a very horrible looking large lump just below her chest (see pictures). It's round and indented at the end . I thought it was something to do with her crop at first, but I think it is too low down. She's eating and behaving normally - although she's not laying at the moment.

I'm not sure how serious it is and what I should do about it (if anything).

Any ideas and advice greatly received.

IMG_3788.jpg
IMG_3787.JPG

One of our 18month old hens has developed a very horrible looking large lump just below her chest (see pictures). It's round and indented at the end . I thought it was something to do with her crop at first, but I think it is too low down. She's eating and behaving normally - although she's not laying at the moment.

View attachment 1937987 View attachment 1937988
I had exactly the same on one of my hens.
DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG

She had them all over her body. On her wings, legs and alot around her back end. I took her to the vet and they didn't know either. They prescribed her some denagard which seemed the stave it for a while. Sadly she list her fight. I didn't have a necropsy done but I believe she had them inside. If you an take your girl to the vet please do. They may be better than mine and be able to give a definite prognosis.

View attachment 1937987 View attachment 1937988
Hi @mns1977 :frow Welcome To BYC!
Hard to know, a couple of things come to mind feather cyst or breast blister. If you have vet care, that would be best.

Feather Cysts https://www.beautyofbirds.com/feathercysts.html
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/feather-cysts-in-birds

Breast Blister https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-scabby-enlarged-thing-on-roos-chest.1292202/

I had exactly the same on one of my hens.
View attachment 1938017 View attachment 1938018
She had them all over her body. On her wings, legs and alot around her back end. I took her to the vet and they didn't know either. They prescribed her some denagard which seemed the stave it for a while. Sadly she list her fight. I didn't have a necropsy done but I believe she had them inside. If you an take your girl to the vet please do. They may be better than mine and be able to give a definite prognosis.
That stinks @CCUK since your girl had them all over and you believe she also had tumors/scabs inside, I would have suspected Cutaneous Form of Marek's. Without necropsy it would be hard to know.

Breast blister is my guess. Our very large rooster (Black Jersey Giant) had one this past Jan. We soaked in epsom Salt bath for 30 min daily. Dried him with hair dryer (they like this part oddly enough), Coated with Neosporin. After a few days it came off. At that point, raw skin, so more Neosporin then cotton pad (sterile gauze is what we used), and black bet wrap around his body (under wings). Vet wrap off during day, repeat procedure in evening until skin more healed and durable bc it is where it rested on the roost.

our roost bars were too wide, so all got turned to narrow side and no further problems.

I would think that it might be where a bot fly or warble has been, and exited, but am not certain. I would leave it open like it is, and perhaps flush it out with chlorhexidene or Betadine to disinfect the area. It also could be a breast blister that has abscessed. That is very interesting.

I would think that it might be where a bot fly or warble has been, and exited, but am not certain. I would leave it open like it is, and perhaps flush it out with chlorhexidene or Betadine to disinfect the area. It also could be a breast blister that has abscessed. That is very interesting.
Is the area mobile when you touch it - like moving b/c you touch it? I agree with Eggcessive - it looks like a botfly larva.
If it is, do not remove it yourself - if it breaks open the toxins within can cause death in a rabbit.
Check with your vet -

Back
Top Bottom