Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Pics
Standing on the back steps this morning.

0723210720a.jpg

That is looking REALLY good. I admit some jealousy.

One question - is that ridge pole big enough??? I know the only loads on it are from the rafters and the roof panels, neither of which weigh anything, but the proportions "look" wrong. Its a 2x6?? (yes, yes, I know, the math matters, not the visual sense of the thing). Did the guys note much deflection when they were up there???

That is looking REALLY good. I admit some jealousy.

One question - is that ridge pole big enough??? I know the only loads on it are from the rafters and the roof panels, neither of which weigh anything, but the proportions "look" wrong. Its a 2x6?? (yes, yes, I know, the math matters, not the visual sense of the thing). Did the guys note much deflection when they were up there???

Agrees, rafters look to be bigger dimensions.

IIRC, it's all 2x6's.

No, no deflection due to weight. There was a little warping of the joists that were exposed to weather waiting first on the delivery of the roofing and then on the ability to schedule the work day to coincide with both everyone's availability and favorable weather. DH had to replace 1-2 joists because of it.

I might even go back and put in a second row of staples.

What do you guys think of this idea -- putting a second row of staples on the screen doors?

The hardware cloth will be on the inside, so no risk of raccoons pulling and prying, but I'm thinking of the possible risk of a large dog throwing it's weight onto the door. Especially the door that doesn't have the trim panels.

DH mounted the doors yesterday. No latching hardware, the shim thing is purely temporary.

I've quite pleased with this one, which had to be trimmed to fit in the opening.
0727210917_HDR.jpg

He remembered my request that the doors be able to widely, even folding flat against the wall if possible.
0727210918_HDR.jpg

This one is a little less satisfactory (again the shim on a screw closure is temporary, meant only to keep them from banging in the wind until we get the latch hardware).
0727210918a_HDR.jpg
0727210918b_HDR.jpg
0727210919.jpg
0727210919a.jpg

It doesn't seem to close as nicely (the door may not be square -- we're probably going to get turnbuckles), and there's a little more gap at the jam than I'm 100% comfortable with.

He was wondering, should we put sturdy kick panels on both of them? The panel on the one is thin, decorative stuff held only by small trim nails.

On consideration, I will definitely give them both a second row of staples. Staples being much cheaper than chickens, after all.

Getting some work done today. I got the door hardware on and found a flaw in the install that DH will fix one evening. Then he found a flaw in my placement of the door hardware, which I corrected. We'll see how far we get on the wire after lunch and I'll post pictures when we decide that it's too hot to go further.

Back
Top Bottom