Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Pics
Trying to get some more wire up since the 15yo doesn't have school on Fridays. Got the narrow stuff next to the door up and cut some for the nestbox wall, to be put up after we take a rest from the awful humidity, but we need the new roll out and it's too heavy for us to manage.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything is ok.

Yes. When I left, the night crew, newbies whose trainer had called out, had a reasonably good idea of what their tasks were, where the instructions were, where to find everything, and who to go to for further advice and assistance.

The stress came from trying to get them over those hurdles when I had never actually been trained for that portion of the job myself and only learned the basics from casual observation during the couple hours each day that the two shifts overlap.

Last edited:
Photos! Both what I did the other day and what DH did today.

The wire DS#3 and I put up the other day:

0820211044.jpg
0822211613.jpg
0822211613a.jpg

Today DH got the roof flashing on.

0823211715.jpg
0823211715_HDR.jpg

He also fixed the gap on the downhill door.

0823211716.jpg
0823211716_HDR.jpg

And put in the first roost supports (the board is for leveling and visualization. I'm supposed to cut a couple saplings for the actual roosts). There will be another roost along the back wall over toward the nest boxes and a ramp on that side to let Dumpling, the Light Brahma, (and any other hens who grow too large to fly well), to get up and down.
0823211717_HDR.jpg
0823211722.jpg

Having a hydration break while DH runs an errand. He took the day off so that we could get as much of the anti-dig skirt onto the coop as possible.

I wrenched my wrist yesterday moving a ladder so he's got to do all the heavy work, but I can chop high spots with a hoe, use the electric shears, rake things smooth, and fork mulch.

Back
Top Bottom