Large Pekin prone to bumblefoot..shoes?

Should I let my duck wear booties all the time? We rescued Snowball. She came with severe bumblefoot...$700 worth. I am looking for a preventative method to prevent more bumbles.
My rescue duck was also prone to foot problems, including bumbles. I modified her living quarters. I removed all hard things like rocks and boards, changed her substrate, planted grass, ect. My rescue duck lived out her life of 6 more years without ever having bumblefoot again. My other ducks have still not had bumblefoot.

Regarding booties, I would only put those on during the healing stage. Afterwards you would only want them while you are going to allow your duck to walk on very hard surfaces like concrete, linoleum, wood floors, ect. There is no way that I have discovered to keep them dry inside. Every time my duck drank water ran down her body and into her boots. I bought multiple pairs of boots they could get washed and dried while my duck was wearing the other ones. And the duck also needs time without boots, too, in my opinion. Their little feet need time to dry out.

My preference is just keep them walking on soft surfaces. When I need to bring my ducks inside I put down thick layers of towels instead of putting boots on my ducks. I usually put down 3 layers of towels. I buy them at Good Will, instead of new ones.

Back
Top Bottom