Large potable water tank use

I am new to this and this will be my first winter. I installed a rain barrel that I just fill with the hose. I can run a hose out there every few weeks in the winter to fill. Then I attached it to a pvc pipe installed horizontally with horizontal nipples. It’s gravity fed. My plan is to use a bird bath heater in the barrel For the pvc pipe, I installed a hose on each end, running to and from the barrel. My plan was to install a small pump to trickle the warm water continuously. I have heard I can get a temperature controlled extension cord or plug to use so the pump only runs below freezing. I also think the bird bath heaters or livestock tank heaters are controlled by temperature as well.
Has anyone tried this approach. That way , I can have several weeks of water always and all o have to do is check each day that the pump and heater don’t fail. I will most likely have a spare on hand.

I am new to this and this will be my first winter. I installed a rain barrel that I just fill with the hose. I can run a hose out there every few weeks in the winter to fill. Then I attached it to a pvc pipe installed horizontally with horizontal nipples. It’s gravity fed. My plan is to use a bird bath heater in the barrel For the pvc pipe, I installed a hose on each end, running to and from the barrel. My plan was to install a small pump to trickle the warm water continuously. I have heard I can get a temperature controlled extension cord or plug to use so the pump only runs below freezing. I also think the bird bath heaters or livestock tank heaters are controlled by temperature as well.
Has anyone tried this approach. That way , I can have several weeks of water always and all o have to do is check each day that the pump and heater don’t fail. I will most likely have a spare on hand.
Thought about it, laid out a design, saw some other similar systems...and decided it was too complicated and went with a simple heated jug. You'll need constant flow thru the nippled pipe, put your circulation supply line all the way at the far end of the pipe(and out of the way of the nipples).

We live in Ontario Canada. We get to -10to -20 C which would be around your 0F I think. THE water bar is in the run and I have a stainless braided hose on each end going in and out of the barel. My plan was to attach an inline pump directly to the one end of the water bar . This will take water from the pvc pipe and dump it back into the barel. This should keep a constant supply of water going. Then if I drop a livestock tank water heater in the bottom of the barrel, it should keep it warmed enough. I would also wrap the barrel with an insulated box. The run will have plastic on it to keep out the drafts so it will also be slightly warmer than the outside temperature and there should be no drafts on any of it. I hope it will be ok and will have a b ack up pump . Maybe get a heater water pail in case of a last minute failure.

THE water bar is in the run and I have a stainless braided hose on each end going in and out of the barel.
Got any pics, please?
Would be good start a new thread here instead of hijacking this one any further.

The run will have plastic on it to keep out the drafts so it will also be slightly warmer than the outside temperature and there should be no drafts on any of it.
Will need to make sure you still have ventilation.

If you have electricity at your coop this is what I did. I took a 275 gallon tote wrapped it in Black visqueen. Then put in a stock tank heater and a pond pump.
Hook the pump to PVC that went down and horizontal at chicken level and put nipples on it. Then it comes back up and dumps back into the 275 gallon tote. In other words the water just constantly circulates it worked just fine last year through the Indiana winter. Wrapping it in Black helps absorb some heat I wrap it in white in the summer. Before too long I plan to build an insulated box to keep the electricity cost down as much as possible. Here's some pictures the plastic tubes are hook to the PVC showing both outgoing in return hoses.

Attachments

• received_2207812809437477.jpeg
    received_2207812809437477.jpeg
    642.8 KB · Views: 8
  • received_256428438341047.jpeg
    received_256428438341047.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 7
  • received_2207812809437477.jpeg
    received_2207812809437477.jpeg
    642.8 KB · Views: 9
  • received_256428438341047.jpeg
    received_256428438341047.jpeg