Lash egg and leaking vent

Wmaddox

Songster
May 23, 2020
5 nights ago my high production chick laid a lash egg and tonight she is in the next box ( usually I don’t let them sleep there). She hasn’t laid any eggs for over a week. I picked her up and she had a pale yellow liquid leaking from her vent. I took her to the vet yesterday and she did an X-ray and saw mineralization in the area where her eggs would come from. She said that shouldn’t be there but she’s not really a chicken vet so that she would reach out to a colleague who is to get a plan of action. Still haven’t heard back from vet and I did call today but no answer yet. She’s eating and drinking. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to help her?

5 nights ago my high production chick laid a lash egg and tonight she is in the next box ( usually I don’t let them sleep there). She hasn’t laid any eggs for over a week. I picked her up and she had a pale yellow liquid leaking from her vent. I took her to the vet yesterday and she did an X-ray and saw mineralization in the area where her eggs would come from. She said that shouldn’t be there but she’s not really a chicken vet so that she would reach out to a colleague who is to get a plan of action. Still haven’t heard back from vet and I did call today but no answer yet. She’s eating and drinking. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to help her?
Did your vet give you a copy of the X-ray? It would be interesting to see the mineralization - was this of the ovary or?

You mention lash egg in your title, did you see your hen pass lash material/or find a lash egg in the box or was there just liquid leaking from her vent?

How is she acting overall, is she lethargic, having difficulty walking, labored breathing, etc.?

I'd get some Calcium into her to see if she's able to pass more material. Leaking fluid could be from an egg that ruptured inside the oviduct, infection or something else. 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once daily for a week.
See that she's eating/drinking well.

Lash Egg (Salpingitis) is inflammation of the oviduct. IF caught very early, you may be able to treat with an antibiotic. Your vet can best recommend treatment, but most that treat at home use Amoxicillin or sometimes Baytril.

Here's some reading about Salpingitis
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/#:~:text=Lash eggs result from an,waxy, cheese-like pus.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Did your vet give you a copy of the X-ray? It would be interesting to see the mineralization - was this of the ovary or?

You mention lash egg in your title, did you see your hen pass lash material/or find a lash egg in the box or was there just liquid leaking from her vent?

How is she acting overall, is she lethargic, having difficulty walking, labored breathing, etc.?

I'd get some Calcium into her to see if she's able to pass more material. Leaking fluid could be from an egg that ruptured inside the oviduct, infection or something else. 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once daily for a week.
See that she's eating/drinking well.

Lash Egg (Salpingitis) is inflammation of the oviduct. IF caught very early, you may be able to treat with an antibiotic. Your vet can best recommend treatment, but most that treat at home use Amoxicillin or sometimes Baytril.

Here's some reading about Salpingitis
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/#:~:text=Lash eggs result from an,waxy, cheese-like pus.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
I did not get a copy of the X-ray . I found a lash egg in the box . She is acting fine, eating and drinking, a little stand offish from others. I can definitely get some calcium into her. I gave her a scrambled egg tonight with poultry cell. I have been reading about salpingitis. I will call vet tomorrow to see if she can give me a script for an antibiotic.

I did not get a copy of the X-ray . I found a lash egg in the box . She is acting fine, eating and drinking, a little stand offish from others. I can definitely get some calcium into her. I gave her a scrambled egg tonight with poultry cell. I have been reading about salpingitis. I will call vet tomorrow to see if she can give me a script for an antibiotic.
Let us know what the vet says.

Sometime that is the case with reproductive disorders.

If she's eating/drinking and still moving about, I'd let her chicken until she can't chicken anymore.
I love this. Thank you. I’m trying to ensure that I rotate her favorites ( worms, blueberries, sunflower seeds) throughout the week while she continues to chicken. Really impressed based on everything I’ve read that I still have her here.

I love this. Thank you. I’m trying to ensure that I rotate her favorites ( worms, blueberries, sunflower seeds) throughout the week while she continues to chicken. Really impressed based on everything I’ve read that I still have her here.
Some hens can live a good while with many issues, including Salpingitis.
Sometimes antibiotics can help if they are in a state of decline. If they have fluid, then draining (which can be risky) can be part of supportive care or some folks give an Aloe detox to help with fluid and liver function.
None of these measures are cures but can be implemented to see if they make the hen a bit more comfortable.
I'll baby mine along and see how they do, if they eat/drink, move about some and can make it into the coop, then I just monitor them. I will treat/address crop problems which seem to go hand-in-hand with reproductive problems, I'll deworm, etc. Maybe antibiotics depending on what I see.

Some hens can live a good while with many issues, including Salpingitis.
Sometimes antibiotics can help if they are in a state of decline. If they have fluid, then draining (which can be risky) can be part of supportive care or some folks give an Aloe detox to help with fluid and liver function.
None of these measures are cures but can be implemented to see if they make the hen a bit more comfortable.
I'll baby mine along and see how they do, if they eat/drink, move about some and can make it into the coop, then I just monitor them. I will treat/address crop problems which seem to go hand-in-hand with reproductive problems, I'll deworm, etc. Maybe antibiotics depending on what I see.
Thank you for the info. I greatly appreciate your insight. She might be a $5 chicken to me but she’s a pet who has provided so many yummy breakfasts for my family and I so I’m happy for her that she is in retirement and want to make it a good run for her. In this case where she is acting normal, should I do anything else other than monitor her?

Back
Top Bottom