Lash egg and leaking vent

Yes I found some today. Weird that she’s sick and molting. I guess I just figured she’d be putting all her energy into feeling better.
She may do well through molt. A lot of hens stop ovulating during molt, so this may actually give her a little better chance to heal.
But, I've also had hens have a bit of trouble once molt is over and they begin to come back into lay. It's one of those time will tell things I suppose.

She may do well through molt. A lot of hens stop ovulating during molt, so this may actually give her a little better chance to heal.
But, I've also had hens have a bit of trouble once molt is over and they begin to come back into lay. It's one of those time will tell things I suppose.
Thank you. Last spring I took her to the vet and posted on this site bc I thought she had mites as she’s missing all of her wing feathers down to the stalk. I treated her anyway but the vet said they weren’t mites that she was molting. I don’t think she was molting as that’s the only place she was missing feathers. I hope she molts and gets feathers. Wings are useless without feathers so she can’t fly or even balance even a little. Now I think that was just the 1st sign that she was sick with whatever she has now. Since she laid her lash egg was the first time she’s ever not laid an egg a day since she came into lay and I don’t use artificial light. I’m glad she’s finally getting a break.

Do you have a rooster who may be wearing down her feathers, or have you noticed her or flock members picking at her feathers? Are they getting a balanced feed?

Do you have a rooster who may be wearing down her feathers, or have you noticed her or flock members picking at her feathers? Are they getting a balanced feed?
No roosters and haven’t seen any pecking. She’s one of the top girls. I feed them scratch and peck

Thank you for the info. I greatly appreciate your insight. She might be a $5 chicken to me but she’s a pet who has provided so many yummy breakfasts for my family and I so I’m happy for her that she is in retirement and want to make it a good run for her. In this case where she is acting normal, should I do anything else other than monitor her?
I am successfully dealing with lash egg. I got lots of bad info online and finally have figured out what to do. My chickens are my pets as well. Please see this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-viral-salpingitis.1557343/post-26493252

I’m dealing with something similar right now too. I’m sorry it is so hard. For me it’s challenging because some days she does better and I’m optimistic and then the next she doesnt eat much and I feel helpless again. I wish I could give you a success story as I’ve been desperately reading the pages trying to find some. My hen is still standing normally with a high tail and alert eyes. I sort of wished I hadn’t seperated her from the flock because now mitigating pecking order stuff when she doesn’t feel well is stressful. I did bring her in to be able to give meds and bathe. The baths don’t seem to be helping all that much though. Just wanted to let you know you aren’t alone. I wish there was an easy cure but it just doesn’t seem like there is. You’re doing everything you can for her and you should feel good about that.
did your girl make it? mine perked up for a bit as weather stopped her from laying but last week she seems to be getting worse.

Contact Dr Jeanne to make sure you get the dosages correct. Two capsules a day is way too much. Two capsules lasts me quite a few days and you have to dilute it to the correct strength! You can go to any drugstore and ask them for a syringe.
I am dealing with lash eggs right now with Ethel so I've been reading your post and getting information from others on here. Did you have success with the cephalexin for Tina?

Back
Top Bottom