Lash egg? [Graphic]

omeomy07

Chirping
Aug 16, 2016
One (well, five hens and three ducks) were killed by dogs this morning. This was one of my older ~2 1/2-3 yrs girls that hadn't laid for quite some time.

I finally got her all plucked and just pulled this out. Is any part of her safe to eat, for the cats, (our) dogs or humans?

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_153357.jpg
    IMG_20191213_153357.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 36
One (well, five hens and three ducks) were killed by dogs this morning. This was one of my older ~2 1/2-3 yrs girls that hadn't laid for quite some time.

I finally got her all plucked and just pulled this out. Is any part of her safe to eat, for the cats, (our) dogs or humans?
If you don't mind... what do you feed your birds?

It looks like salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct, and the most common cause of death in chickens. When these chickens are found during processing, they reject them. It might be okay for animal food, but I wouldn’t use it. Here is some reading about salpingitis:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Oops! Too late, I went ahead and gave her a viking funeral with her flockmates.

More recently, I was feeding tucker milling non gmo layer pellets. Previously it was scratch and peck organic layer, and new country organic layer. They'd been let out to free range just a little over the past week or so.

When I first got her, she had medicated chick starter (Purina maybe?) and eventually some other organic layer pellets.

They'd been given grit off and on but never really went for it. I gave them oyster shell when she was young, like up to six months. This one always seemed to have a calcium problem though. Her eggs were thin and had those little calcium deposit bumps on them.

Back
Top Bottom