Lash egg, or odd poop?

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I found this on the ground in my run.

I have 4 girls. 2 laid normal eggs yesterday, one is broody, and one consistently lays fairy eggs. Those have whites with no yolks, and are completely normal for her. They range in age from 2 year to 2 years old.

None of them appear sick. They have a couple hours per day foraging in a school garden, and spend the rest of their time in the run (8 ft X 16 ft).

They eat Purina organic crumbles, with a pinch of herbs, sunflower seeds, kelp, and mealworms mixed into their breakfast mash. Occasional treats are mealworms and fruits.

Attachments

• 20220613_111835.jpg
    20220613_111835.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220613_111723.jpg
    20220613_111723.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 16
Yes, lash "egg". It's called salpingitis, a chronic infection of the reproductive tract. The fairy eggs are a sign that all is not well in her oviduct. It could be early enough to treat. I suggest getting some amoxicillin if you can find it. TSC often carries it. The dosage is 250mg per day for ten days.

Yes, lash "egg". It's called salpingitis, a chronic infection of the reproductive tract. The fairy eggs are a sign that all is not well in her oviduct. It could be early enough to treat. I suggest getting some amoxicillin if you can find it. TSC often carries it. The dosage is 250mg per day for ten days.
Thank you for the advice. I suspected that, but hoped it wasn't. 😞

They sure don't make it easy in the 'burbs; you'd think I was asking for morphine, but I finally found a vet friend of a friend who was willing to call in the prescription. I will start my poor Flapod on the amoxycillian tomorrow morning.

Can I dose her all at once, or should I break it into 2 doses per day?

It will work either way. It might be a bit more effective to break it into two doses of 125mg each if you have the time to do it that way. You must give the med straight, though, and not dilute it in anything.

It will work either way. It might be a bit more effective to break it into two doses of 125mg each if you have the time to do it that way. You must give the med straight, though, and not dilute it in anything.
I had to get capsules. Can I put the powder on food? I figured a grape cut in pieces would be enough to get it all into her.

I've cut tiny squares of bread and dipped them in olive oil and used them to sop up the amoxy powder. The only problem with that is the chicken will eagerly take it the first time and then, finding it bitter, refuse the subsequent doses.

So, the solution is to sop the powder with something but treat it as a pill and just shove it into the beak.

Back
Top Bottom