Lash egg / salpingitis diagnosed - what next?

Yevesman

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Australia
Hi trusted backyard chook keepers!
my 2+ year old barter brown stopped laying a few months ago and I pinned it on old age, but today i found 2 little distinct and ugly lash eggs! Pinkish nugget like, poop sized. She seems perfectly fine, if anything, better.
what I’m not clear on is do I have to do anything here? Antibiotics? Or do I just observe and feed as usual?
Might she lay again?
thanks!

According to poultry sites, such as Merck Vet Manual, antibiotics may not help. But it probably wouldn’t hurt if you tried some Amoxicillin or FishMox which you can dind in some TSC stores or online. Some also use enrofloxacin, which is banned for chickens, but can treat some of the bacteria that cause salpingitis. There is an egg withdrawal time with either one.

Thanks... it’s weird she’s ok most of the time, then really hunched and down on others... maybe this was a one off and she just has a random deficiency.

I have a hen we are currently treating for salpingitis after 2 days of laying lash eggs/fleshy bits. On day two (friday) she started to act unwell. We went to our vet and she was started on some carprofen for the abdominal swelling and SMZ-TMP to treat infection (good for E. coli). I've also been giving her Tylan just in case there is a mycoplama components. She started feeling better with increased appetite with much better poops within 24 hours of starting the meds.

My vet is new at treating chickens but she does her research. Hopefully, I will have another discussion with her today. If she has any new information I'll gladly pass it on here.

Thanks for sharing! I’d like to avoid a costly visit to the vet if possible so hopefully I can buy these meds off the shelf.
Interesting development, I have since diagnosed tape worm in this chicken (will spare you details... or not: white crawly segments of tapeworm seen in poop) so not sure if it’s a case of multiple separate or correlated issues. I recently added vinegar to the water for the first time so it may be that it’s making the worms exit

Tapeworm looks like this:
If tapeworm is what you have then you will need either equimax horse paste or zimectrin gold (med is praziquantel) to treat. Vinegar will not treat them.
Dosing is in post #6 here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
You can get amoxicillin (fishmox) online, you can get SMZ-TMP online as bird sulfa, you can get enrofloxacin at pigeon suppliers on line.

Hi trusted backyard chook keepers!
my 2+ year old barter brown stopped laying a few months ago and I pinned it on old age, but today i found 2 little distinct and ugly lash eggs! Pinkish nugget like, poop sized. She seems perfectly fine, if anything, better.
what I’m not clear on is do I have to do anything here? Antibiotics? Or do I just observe and feed as usual?
Might she lay again?
thanks!
One of my girls has recently laid two lash eggs, she was really off colour for a week, hunched up, lethargic, not interested in anything, I didnt take her to the vet as I have had a chicken with this before so knew what it was, I had antibiotic powder here which I put in her water for a few days. She is now back to normal like it never happened, but, until she ever lays another egg I won't know for certain if she will recover from it. Unfortunately my last chicken acted normal for weeks after but never laid another egg, then suddenly collapsed and died within five minutes gasping for air, there was nothing I could do to save her. Maybe I was unlucky and maybe with good vet care yours and mine will survive. 🤞🤞

One of my girls has recently laid two lash eggs, she was really off colour for a week, hunched up, lethargic, not interested in anything, I didnt take her to the vet as I have had a chicken with this before so knew what it was, I had antibiotic powder here which I put in her water for a few days. She is now back to normal like it never happened, but, until she ever lays another egg I won't know for certain if she will recover from it. Unfortunately my last chicken acted normal for weeks after but never laid another egg, then suddenly collapsed and died within five minutes gasping for air, there was nothing I could do to save her. Maybe I was unlucky and maybe with good vet care yours and mine will survive. 🤞🤞
Sorry for your loss! I lost one just under 6 months old a couple nights ago - who had been a great daily layer except for the lash eggs. I hear calcium-carbonate on food or water may help the contractions to push malformed eggs out. My other chickens loved it, but once hunched over the 3rd day mine wouldn't try it, even mixed with tuna. I added a home Necropsy pictures thread to the Forum. It looked like a cooked lash egg was all over her insides. Now I am wondering if he Oviduct split on the last large double yolker, and they never made it all the way down the tract. I hear egg impaction is common with RIRs, and I wonder if Intenal Laying also is - and if I should have ramps instead of hop up/down system for my girls for their roost. This is so sad when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom