Last 3 days in incubator for newbie

I have 9 this morning but still seeing more pips in other eggs. One is struggling a bit, it keeps falling over on it's back but it was just hatched this morning and still wet so hopefully it will discover its legs. So far I have 6 buff, 1 black, 1 splash, one undetermined. It's either black or splash but still wet so I can't tell.

Now that they are hatching and it looks to be dragging out in to days, should I remove the dry ones or let them stay until all have hatched?
I remove mine as they hatch. Once they are active and moving they go to the brooder. Wether to move chicks or not is a personal decision. As long as your humidity is up in a safe zone, there should be no reason not to if you are comfortable moving them. I keep water by my bator so that if my humidity lowers too much I can wet one of my sponges and bring it back up. Chances of shrinkwrapping are low unless you have less than adequate humidity to begin with.

Congrats on the hatchers!

Well I am obviously very new but my humidity went up to 78% as soon as I locked down and has stayed above 70 the entire time. Is that too high? Not sure how to lower it if so.

Last edited:
Ok .. Soooo I'm in lockdown day 18 and I put in a wet sponge to up my humidity....now my window are foggy.. Bator reads 64% ... Am I still ok? Should I take the sponge out????? Shipped serama eggs by the way. Oh and no pips yet
You should be fine. Unless you are in a humid area, I would say that your hygrometer needs to be checked. Unless you are using a small coolerbator set up, 64% does not normally cause condensation. If there are beads of water and not just mist, I would pull the sponge. Condensation is a sign your humidity is more than high enough.

Well I am obviously very new but my humidity went up to 78% as soon as I locked down and has stayed above 70 the entire time. Is that too high? Not sure how to lower it if so.
I run 70-80% humidity during lockdown and hatch. I don't like my humidity going below 70% because I do open my bator frequently during hatch time. When you open it it will dip naturally, but I wouldn't worry about lowering it unless you see a lot of condensation in t he bator.

Next question, I have one little one hatched this morning that has egg shell attached to his rear. He is still somewhat damp so should I leave it alone?

So far 11 have hatched and one more zipping its way out so that leaves 4 that I am not sure about.

Next question, I have one little one hatched this morning that has egg shell attached to his rear. He is still somewhat damp so should I leave it alone?

So far 11 have hatched and one more zipping its way out so that leaves 4 that I am not sure about.
If your humidity is good and you think it needs to be removed, remove it. You might need some warm water though, as it might be stuck on with the membrane. Eleven is great! You could wait until the zipper is out and there'd be no question about the safety of opening the bator.

If your humidity is good and you think it needs to be removed, remove it. You might need some warm water though, as it might be stuck on with the membrane.  Eleven is great! You could wait until the zipper is out and there'd be no question about the safety of opening the bator.

I second that. I opened mine multiple times during the hatch the other day and had 4 out of 6 hatch.

I have 12 of 16 that have hatched. The last 4 are fully formed chicks, appear to be anyway, but nothing is happening. How long should I leave them in to be sure they aren't going to hatch?

On another note, we removed the eggshell from the little ones rear with lots of warm water. It was seriously dried on him but all seems good now. We have decided to call him Egbert (Eggbutt). A little chick humor this morning.
You all have been a huge help, thank you!

I have 12 of 16 that have hatched. The last 4 are fully formed chicks, appear to be anyway, but nothing is happening. How long should I leave them in to be sure they aren't going to hatch?

On another note, we removed the eggshell from the little ones rear with lots of warm water. It was seriously dried on him but all seems good now. We have decided to call him Egbert (Eggbutt). A little chick humor this morning.
You all have been a huge help, thank you!
LOL, that's cute. How long you wait is really a personal thing. I have started to do my eggtopsies w/in 24 of the last hatcher if candling does not reveal any internal pips or movement. I am finding that usually the ones that are going to hatch do so w/in 48 hours of the first hatcher. Then if there are no signs of life after the last has been hatched 24 hours, I call it.

Ok thanks. Little Egbert has been out of his egg almost 24 hours but he is the only one not fluffy, he looks kind of matted so maybe he had membrane dry on him. Should I leave him in the incubator longer?

Back
Top Bottom