Last ditch effort.

tawirth604

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
Good morning, everyone. I’ve been posting about this chick, but I’ll touch again on what I’m dealing with. Friday night we came home and one of my lunch chicks was acting lethargic. I thought she had gotten chilled, so I separated her and gave her food and water. She wouldn’t eat, but she drank a lot. Saturday she didn’t eat except what I put on the tip of her beak. I gave her a yogurt/chick feed mixture, but no luck. I had a hunch that coccidia was the culprit, so I got Corid. I started treating her yesterday. Then I noticed her crop was full and mushy, so then I figured out she had sour crop. I don’t know if it’s secondary or if it has been the issue all along. I read an article someone posted, and I started massaging her crop area this morning. All of a sudden she started expelling clear liquid. I didn’t intend to burp her, but I did quickly tilted her forward. I haven’t tried feeding her today, but she has Corid water and a separate bowel with ACV water in it. She’s only 4 weeks old, and I think time is running out to fix this. I have been massaging her crop from top to bottom every two hours now. Am I doing everything right? Should I only give her Corid water. Like my title says, this is a last ditch effort. I don’t want her to suffer. She is pooping a little, and I’ve been keeping her clean.

Corid won't fix a blocked crop.

https://www.purposefullysimple.com/how-to-treat-impacted-crop-sour-crop-and-pendulous-crop/

You need to remove the impaction... to speed up digestion. :fl

I know. I was treating her for coccidia, and then realized she had sour crop. Not sure if it was sour crop all along or if it was on top of coccidia. I’ve been massaging her crop every couple of hours, and it feels full again. She seems really wobbly, too. Unfortunately I think we’re putting her down. I can’t stand to see her suffer.

Sometimes crops can be slow to empty with other illnesses, especially with coccidiosis. Making sure that she is taking Corid water often is good.

Back
Top Bottom